Vertical or Horizontal Engine??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ty Webb, May 25, 2006.

1. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

Which is better in a Zero Turn Matter?

Vertical Crankshaft or Horizontal Crankshaft?

In terms of engine life, power, and overall use?

Does it even matter??

Ty

2. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

A horizontal would be better. A vertical has a load running only from the bottom side. Where with a horizontal you can run an even load on each side of the engine...per say a clutch on one side and pumps on the other. Plus the flywheel on a horizontal allows the engine to pull in air over the pumps which could give a little extra cooling.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

There was a long thread on this about 1 year ago. Do a search on vertical vs horizontal or something. Lots of information and the concensus was that vertical was actually a better setup because you dont need a mule belt drive.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

more power to the blades with vertical. i would say about the same life as far as hours.

6. Ty Webb

Ty Webb LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies....

I am looking at JD zero turn mowers. The two I am comparing are the 727A and the 737. Both have 23 horse Kaws but the 727A is vertical and the 737 is horizontal.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Ty

7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, please also consider which machines they are installed in and quality of install EG owned both toro z355 and walker mt both ch25s horizontal . Both air cooling intakes suck up debris from the ground very badly. z355 also had oil cooler in front of intake. Niether machine had removeable plates to clean cylinder head fins . [rectified]Due to the machines being operated in a hot dusty environment ease of access 4 maintenance is top priority.All this happened many years ago and since then i have noted at least 2 machines[z355] o\heated 4 sale. Both companies purchased diesel walkers.This is not a walker advert . I sold the toro years ago. Another contractor a very well used machine Great dane vertical shaft 2500 hrs very dusty road sides, no removable plates 4 cylinder fins STILL GOING unbelievable. thanks tomo

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

IMO speaking as a dealer technician and an lco, I like the vertical shaft engines. They seem a lot easier to work on! A horizontal shaft engne seems like it is to enclosed with the frame making it to tight in spots.