Vertical or Horizontal shaft motor on a ZTR and Why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Nov 29, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Does it make a difference. My Exmark has a horizontal and my Super Z uses a vertical any reason why one is better than the other? P.S. I've never replaced the mule belt (Exmark 900hrs) so that's not a reason for me.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not many companies use a horizontal shaft and the mule belt is the reason. Exmark uses it because they wanted to be able use engines that are not available as verticle shafts in their mowers. It doesn't really matter to me, it just so happens that Dixie uses a verticle shaft on my particular model.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I personally prefer the mule drive, because it's easier to get to. the clutch and everything is right in front of your face. And I think it looks better.
  4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Vertical shafts don't require as many idlers, twists and turns to run the traction and deck drives I would guess. Clearance and belt routing are more straight forward too.
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I prefer a vert. shaft because there are less things to go wrong. It is a direct transfer of power, instead of changing direction of the force applied many times. each time you change the direction, you loose some power. you are only substituting what a vertical engine already has.

that said, there are some engines that only come in a horizontal shafter orientation, like diesels, and most liquid cooled engines.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know why but i prefer the vertical shafts.
  7. TClawn

perhaps we have only owned them, so we prefer what we know. If I only owned horizontal shafts, I would prefer them... this could be a good philosophy discussion.
  8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

In the early 90's when ZTR's started gaining in popularity, there were no vertical shaft engines powerful enough to run a large Z.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I like the idea of having a horizontal shaft engine, seems to me they would outlast a vertical shafter.
  10. TClawn

why would it last longer? if everything works as it should, there should be no differance in the life of the engine.