Vertical shart diesel engine

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by DXN1EL, Mar 13, 2013.

1. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I know is an air cooled maybe for a walk behind or even a stand on mower maybe some of you guys might say is china garbage I was quoted 850 for a 20 hp I think their horsepower ranges are between 14hp and up 25hp what do you guys think?

2. DXN1EL

from TEXAS

3. DXN1EL

from TEXAS

4. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Turbocharged too!

You wouldn't have the first diesel WB, Dieutz (SP?) made one some years ago. I'd heard that it was heavy and the oil pan was too shallow to allow it to handle slopes.

I don't know a thing about the motor you pictured. I'd really be interested in your evaluation. I've always wanted a good diesel WB to round out my fleet of mowers.

5. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't dismiss it immediately as China crap. However, no way I would buy it. Too much worry of the availability of replacement parts. I spoke with
    Mr. Wright himself of Wright Mower at the expo in Louisville in October. Yanmar made a two cylinder diesel engine for a limited time and Wright was gonna put it on a stander. However, Yanmar discontinued the engine before he could get it rolling. I am a huge fan of a diesel engine. If I could find a stander with a diesel engine, I could sell three mowers and buy one.:walking:

6. DXN1EL

from TEXAS

I see you have a 2002 60" Kubota ZD-21 diesel how do you like it?

I am thinking in buying a Grasshopper 321D-48:cool2: witch I believe it has the same Kubota Engine. is that right?

7. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had to do any work to either one of my Kubota engines.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper uses the "industrial" duty versions of Kubota engines. Kubota was using the "farm tractor" version of their engines. I am not sure if Kubota is still doing this or not. The industrial versions are just a little heavier-built engines, that are used primarily on construction equipment.

9. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got 3 toro z masters with 922 kubota diesels. The oldest one has 2500 hours on it. I put a new thermostat in it a year or 2 ago. Thats it. Just keep the oil/and filters clean. Most importantly, the fuel filters.

10. DXN1EL

from TEXAS

Does the Diesel fuel have crap in it? or why every Diesel Engine out there have these nice fuel filters?