1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vertical vs Horizontal mounted engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by joeg2246, Apr 13, 2006.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I am purchasing a new Exmark 50" Triton deck with the 27HP Kohler. What, if any are the differences / advantages to choosing between a vertical or horizontal mounted engines? Thanks for any comments!!!
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Wow! First time that I read that thread. Lots of conjecture.

Anyone for reviving the thread in question?
  4. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Well I'll bite on this one. I think horz engines last longer because of the piston direction. you'll find that the new OHV horz are in a slant position because studies have found that there is less piston wear in a piston traveling in a slant or horz postion. Think about it? havnt you seen those 5-11hp horz engines just keep running and running. now do the math a vert engine has the effect of gravity always pulling the piston assy towards the cylinders bottom and putting more pressure on the cylinder bore than a horz engine does. I gotta go take a nap now!

Mike AKA Partsangel
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't read that entire thread, but it seems to me the mule drives would rob power. I had a SuperZ with the gearbox and it was a disaster. My new one (26 hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki) is a vertical mount and it has been flawless.:)
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, Horizontal means more moving parts in a drive system and more parts to wear out and tear up.
  7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Comparison between horizontal[walker] and vertical[greatdane] horizontal-all the ground debris either sticks toair inlet screen or goes through to clog cyl.fins. Choclate bar wrappers tissues etc- block screen & cause overheating. Temperture guage fitted. I have many s/hand engines 600-1300hrs all overheated vertical -after speaking to operater [he does all the general maintenance] Machine mows more grass than i do mostly.Screen does not block with either dry or damp/wet grass or papers . 2500hrs ok