very awkward scene

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 7, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have this group of homes. 5 in a row. from mid october to the end of november it is a living hell. oak trees, big ones, and lots of them. i try to get there twice a week , once for a quick 20 min blow on each property, then later in the week for a more thorough cleaning. well, i had a problem with one of the customers about 2 yrs ago, and we parted ways, on good terms, just parted ways. the nicest, sweetest guy i ever met. anyhow, the new lawnboy turned his place to crap. weeds, crabgrass, just garbage. he came to me in august and asked if i'd take him back. sure, no problem. i wrote up a contract. he said, "screw that contract, take it home with you. and here is payment in full for the rest of the year. " and i charge big bucks for this area, it's rough work. so, anyhow, when i go there mid week to do my quick blowing of the leaves, his property is already clean. hmmm, ok. when i go there on saturdays, he hears my blower down the street, and comes out and gets his, and cleans his property. by the time i get to him, it's almost done, and i only have 20 min of work there. this happens every week. yesterday i said, "ok, look, bill, are you trying to steal my job?" he says, "no, just want to help." i said, "well i'm not giving any refunds." he says, "i don't want any." this is very awkward to me. what would you do?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just carry on doing what you are doing. Period

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask him if he needs a job. :)

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I would look for more customers like him..lol...as Rod said, keep on keepin' on!!

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

believe me, i love the guy, he's so cool, but customers like this keep me "off balance" when it comes to pricing. now if he requests something else, i'm gonna feel like i "owe him", and this effects my natural instinct to "go for the juglar" when it comes to pricing work.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe he's trying to keep you happy so you'll stick with him? Maybe he saw how crappy the other guy was and now appreciates your work more? Just a thought.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have one customer who likes to trim around all of her planting beds. She usually waits till she sees my down the road mowing her neighbors lawns and then she will get out her trimmer. I asked her one day why she is trimming and she says just to help me out. She says that she don't mind ccause she knows that she doesn't HAVE TO do it. She also asked me if there is anything else that she could do to help me out. :) The best part of it is, she nevers brings up prices, its always "just bill me".

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I bet that is why. :)

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

let the guy help!

10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one guy on my route that every time I weed wack he will just follow me around, like he is wacthing what Im doing. After Im done all he wants to do is talk, talk, and mre talk. I have stuff to do , no time to talk all day. He is old and just wants someone to talk too. When im slow in the winter I sometimes stop my his house and chat alittle bit. I get some of his homemade apple cider.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!