1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by draftlawncare, Nov 30, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i should have stayed in bed this morning i found out today i lost two contracts that total $59,000 i dont know how i will replace those. then to make matters worse i backed over some kids 2000 Z28 backed the truck half way up the damn hood on the car and those cars have long frontends i should have had a V8 and stayed in bed this morning
  2. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Wow! That is too bad. I sure hope that you can make that up some how. Were those, had to be, commercials?

Nobody got hurt in the accident I hope?

Maybe you should have stayed in the sack!
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Man thats almost hard to believe. Rotten luck. How did you lose 2 contracts? Someone targeting you? Then to have an at fault accident on top of it all. I have had some bad days but I can't say they have been anywhere near that bad.
    I can only say that things will have to get better because they cant get much worse.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when it rains, it pours
  5. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

Ice.. yeah they were both commercial accounts, the only thing that got hurt was the car, nobody was in it. I was backing out of my brother inlaws driveway some kid decided to park his car in the damn road at night time with no lights on ran right over it, i hate tinted windows i didnt feel so bad that it was a chevy though.......MOW ED i have had this 2 contracts for 2 years it was just a matter of time before someone else jumped in and took them kinda sucks heading into next season knowing that i will not have them .I think i would like to try my hand in residentail but i cant see picking up that much work in one season to make up the difference
  6. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

WOW i guess thats a bad day.. wish u luck for next year.. what were the damages to the z28? $$??? hope u have better days man!! :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:
  7. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Wow, that sucks. But can I ask why you feel it was only a matter of time before someone took those accounts? Do you think they were overpriced? Quality issues? Or was it a so called lowballer that took them? I've only been in this biz for a year, and I know accounts can come & go. But interested in why you felt they were in jeopardy so I know what to watch out for in the future.

The good news is that was yesterday and today is a new day! Insurance should take care of the Z28, hope you can rustle up some new business to ease the loss of the two accounts. Good luck to you.

8. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

the stupid kid shouldn't have parked out i the road last night,but those things happen, and we all got insurance for a reason. as for the 2 contracts you had lost, did you allready submit your bid, did you go up in price?? my theory to life is simple. "you can't controll everything that happens, when you feel beat down, get up, dust yourself off, and put it behind you." im sure there is other contracts you can get. when a door shuts, a window of oportunity allways opens,just need to find the cheese in the maze. also, I'm sure someone out there has it worse that you...... :rolleyes:

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Buck on commercial accounts they go up for bid every yr or when the contract says, usually never more than 3 yrs. Its pretty common to find out what they were paying before and to hold them for a long time you need a "man on the inside" or you have to provide more services, or on rare occasion your work will be so exceptional that they will decide to keep you. Otherwise its a lower bid that takes the accounts. It sucks but thats one of the down falls to commercial work, you can make a lot of $$$ but when you loose them you loose a lot of $$$. :cry:

10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Oversight on my part as I do know that some go up for bid each year or whenever contract ends. Just didn't know if that was the case here or not.
    Mac, you bring up a good point...that's something that I need to consider each year and continue to build the business in order to soften the blow if someone goes another route. Those things seem to happen just when you feel all comfortable and things are just peachy, then...BAM! Back to the drawing board... ;)