Very Bad Experience with G6 Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chip25521, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Which machine exactly are you using?

2. chip25521

chip25521 LawnSite Member

John Deere z820a

3. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I was just curious sinceyou said you broke two baffles underneath the deck. It must be a MOD deck then?

4. chip25521

Yes, it is MOD, but I didn't break the baffles. I was lucky because they're more expensive. One piece that got broke was a deflector that is on top of the blade that is shaped like a cone and covers the spindle area. The other piece was a deflector that's in the middle of the deck, but not one of the moving parts for MOD. The second piece may be a piece that's only on the MOD deck though, I'm not sure. The second piece could also be considered a baffle, but I know John Deere just calls it a deflector.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I know what you're talking about. They are the two adjustable baffles that stick out from the rear skirting in between the blades. I have a 950 with 60" MOD deck. I recently fabricated two new pieces to replace those adjustable baffles. The ones you are talking about. I improved what Deere designed and sells on the machines. I use them under mine with OEM wavy mulching blades and it is awesome, especially for leaves. Far better than the stock design. I can still side discharge, but when I close the MOD, I now have a true mulch kit, and it really mulches exceptionally well. I need to take some pics of what I did. It is very simple, but far better than what they had.

6. chip25521

Sounds great. I have high lift blades on mine so I can't really mulch if the grass is anywhere over what it should be. I'll have a small row of clipping on the right side. I mainly just use the mod as an ocdc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

One of the best things about the baffles I made is that I no longer get any windrowing along the chute side like I did with the stock baffles and the MOD closed.

8. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'd be interested in seeing your design, I don't have a deere but my Toro is set up in full mulch mode, and I get that strip on the chute side usually, I just go back over it and it 's gone but if I could eliminate it all together it would be even better.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

It's not a good idea to step into someones shoes and take control. I'd understand if you worked for the company.

10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

We have quite a few people running the gator g6 now. I am getting mainly the 100 hour plus use before having to sharpen where the regular fusions are getting around 30. I havent seen a gator broke yet, but I did have a log chain wrapped up around one that was a nightmare to get out. So far they have been good performers with the grass and decks down here. Certain decks different blades do better than others, on the Bad Boy and Hustler decks we run super lifts on the vx4 and outlaw decks, but on the fastrak, lightning, or zt decks the create alot of blowout, so the smooth high lift works better...
    Did you see where the city guy was mowing a property on the news a few years back and the blade broke and went threw a brick wall and stuck in the side of a refridgerator where a lady was washing dishes? I think it was Indiana or somewhere close, one of the craziest stories I have heard. They predicted it had to have the force of a big caliber hand gun to have that kinda power....