1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Very basic questions (sorry)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Johnny Morales, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales LawnSite Member
    from NY

I can't afford to have a landscaper take care of my yard anymore, and would like to take care of it myself until circumstances change. I have a push mower and that's about it. Its only about 1/3 acre between the front and back yards.

1) What other equipment would I need? I'm assuming I'll need some sort of leaf blower and an edger - what is a good/professional brand to get?

2) Also - my front yard looks like junk - the grass is all burnt/yellow and there is a spot where I had a tree taken out that I put soil and seed over that hasn't grown in at all. I know it is probably because I haven't watered it as regularly as I should but any suggestions on how to go about getting my front lawn looking good again?

Any info is appreciated!
  2. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Hello there. I was in your case. My dad didnt want a landscaper to come and do the yard anymore so he wanted me to do it. I had a 21" push mower and was looking for more equipment. I'd recommend to you buying an Echo Trimmer and Handheld or Backpack Blower. This should get you off to a good start. If the lawn is really yellow this season, like most of them are up here too, I dont think theres much hope. However, with an overseeding this fall and a good dethatching/hand rake in the spring along with Starter Fert. I think you'll be all set. Hope this helps!
  3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Husqvarna makes good blower and stihl for the edger.
    For the lawn I would recommend you take a soil sample and see how that comes back first. 2nd water deeply once a week except where you seeded you should water that part often and heavily (make sure to straw where you seeded).
    Landscape89 remember thatching should only be done if the thatch is pretty deep because it helps pad the crowns and root system and keeps the soil and roots form drying so quickly.

Good Luck!
  4. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

I just use an all in one trimmer that could convert to a blower, edger, tiller etc. I think the trimmer was under $80 and the attachments were all under 50. My driveway is all I have to blow, no need to get all fancy for 5 minutes of work.

I've had that thing for 7 or 8 years now. I mostly use it as a trimmer, but it's nice to have it work as a blower or other tool when needed. Just trying to save you a few bucks. payup
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The question should be can you really afford NOT to have a landscaper?
    front yard looks like junk then its will need a chemical application and it sounds like topsoil brought in. And good commercial equipment is not cheap.
    Might want to hire a good lco for a yr or 2 to get things in shape for you.
  6. TGNY

TGNY LawnSite Member

How do you show the computer's IP address, OS and browser.
    That is cool and scarry...

Don't worry, I found the site.
  7. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

But you can do a 1/3 acre lawn with a $150 Wal-mart mower. There's no need for expensive equipment.

Rent an edge once a year (if that). Buy an $89 weed whacker.

I've never understood why someone with less than an acre would use a landscaper anyway (unless they've got the money and no time).
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

For a homeowner,any 100$ weedeater will do .But The sthil, echo homeowner lines would last for years.

My best advice would be hire a pro…
    Since I’m not privy to see what the lawn looks like with my two eyes, I would suggest you start on a program of correct cultural practices. You’re in NY, so you probably have cool season turf. The following tips are basic cultural practices, you might want to go to your areas county extension service, and get some reading material about turf care in your area.
    Core aerate and slit seed the lawn, you can rent both machines. Slit seeding can help to reinvigorate a lawn. With the aeration, most aerators only pull 9 to 12 cores a square foot, you need about 20 to 22.It might be a good idea to make two passes with the aerator. Start a fertilization program, and keep the lawn irrigated to about 1 inch of water a week.