1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Very bummed out please read.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by K c m, Jul 21, 2005.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys here is my situation Im a college student and am paying my tuition through my small operation. Im a one man show with about 70 regular lawns (give or take a few) I start night class on monday through thursday 5-930 every day. this is ok because im close to getting my degree however in the last two weeks we have gotten spurts of rain that has caused the grass to grow very fast. I have now been behind for 2 weeks and dont see how i can catch up. Ive called all the customers and alerted them but im still geting calls in the mornings to come cut and stuff like that. I don't know what to do and i dont want to dump any of them or them fireing me.

i have never experienced this sort of thing in my days mowing. I really feel bad i can't catch up.

any advice or other stories would be cool.
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Get a helper and get the lawns done. If you don't know anyone who can help, you might try a temp agency. It will cost you but it is better than loosing customers.
  3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Hey buddy,

I've been in a similar situation. I just finished my third or 4 years at university working towards my business degree. The first 3 years of university I drove home (2 hours each way) from thursday morning till monday morning and pulled long hours to stay on top of my lawns. This was the most stressful thing in the world for me trying to keep on top of this. This year I'm taking the fall semester off and finishing my last year of school by way of 2 winter semesters.

The thing that I found helped was asking anyone I knew to help out... I had my sister, my brother, my sister's boyfriend, anyone I could think of helping out. And then we had the regular guys as well....

We'd do what me and the crew would normally do in a full week in just 4 days.

I'd look into hiring some people to help you out! You'll have more time, plus you can pay them less than you would normally deduct yourself!

Good luck with your degree! What's it in, if you don't mind me asking?
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is the downside to being reliable. my customers know if i don't show up, i don't show up. they don't expect reliable service, and i don't give it. i have them trained this way.but be a day late on the bill........ :angry: anyhow, i'd weed out the less desireable clients, and keep the best ones.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

This is a situation that in the old days they called "burning the candle at both ends"

From your post (original post on this tread) It seems you took on a full time mowing operation to subsidize a full time college job. Can't do both.

Either you do part time mowing to subsidize a full time college deal, or you do a full time mowing to subsididize a part time college. Can't have your cake and eat it too......

I have a real problem feeling sorry for you, but the post above that recommend family or friends to help may do the deal - go for it if that is possible.
  6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. Get some labor to help you out and keep your customers happy.
  7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Find some temporary help and get back on track. Communicate with you customers as to what is going on.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Quit school and go into mowing full time.

That's what I did after 2 1/2 years.

Making 4x's more money now that I would have if I would have grad. with that business degree.
  10. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

70 lawns? And you have all your days and weekends wide open to cut, and just school at night four days a week? You sure you aren't at the bar a little late after classes? I can't see how you could be that far behind. Seems like you and a helper could bust that out in 4 or 5 good days or less and be back on track in no time. Just put in some long days and keep at it, you'll get caught up.