Very cheap trimmers in Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Apr 2, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I was in Home Depot yesterday. I saw Homelite 25cc straight shaft string trimmer originally $89 for close out at $39. Ryobi 30cc originally for $159 for $69. Guys, I don't know whether it is the same in your Home Crapo, but if it is true, this will be a very cheap backup.:waving::waving:
  2. Abes

Abes LawnSite Member
    from MN

I used to have a homelite trimer and i could never get the damn thing to run right even when it was brand new. But it would still be good for a backup.
  3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

don't waste your money! go to your local dealer--buy a good backup from him (exSRM 210 or RM 2300 or a small stihl)---getting a commercial grade trimmer will allow you to move right along with your trimming and not pick away at it blade of grass at a time.
  4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a commercial lawn mowing forum. If you are a business owner just please use commercial equipment you will have too much down time with a homeowner piece of equipment. If you need a back up buy a good trimmer and you will have a like new trimmer when you need to replace your number 1 trimmer.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

The very cheapest homeowner junk is not worth it, but, I don't know, buying a 50-75 dollar backup isn't a bad idea. You buy a Stihl for $300 then a backup for 75, might be a good way to go. The Stihl sure as heck better last 4 times as long then, anything less and you are wasting your money.
  6. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Son--read around on these posts and you will surely get the drift--YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! BUY CHEAP-----GET CHEAP---You will find out in due time that going cheap is rarely the wise way to go.
  7. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you do when you need the piece of s*** and it will not start? You spend 50 bucks for it, you try starting it for 30 min., then you drive another 30 min to get your stihl fixed and 30 back to the job. Now you are out 1.5 hours and could have cut over 150.00 in grass. Oh by the way, its 95 degrees out. Now you will feel like a cheap A H.
  8. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

My one Stihl trimmer is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. It's let me down more times than I can count. I always end up using my seven-year old two-stroke Honda or my Kawasaki.

A Home Depot cheapie would probably be more reiliable. I'll never buy Stihl again - BR 600 blowers (even with their problems), yes, but never a trimmer.
  9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Guys, just a piece of info for you only!!!*trucewhiteflag*

I don't know Homelite, Ryobi is not that bad!!! At least for a cheap backup.
  10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think so. A backup is something that you need to be able to depend on when you need it. All that crap is good for is taking up space my shop that I don't have.