very close call......

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NC_Irrigator, Jul 9, 2006.

1. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Last Wednesday i had a service call here in Wilson. The customer said a sprinkler I installed last summer quit rotating. He asked if it would be covered under warranty, i told him sure no problem. This client is on a well & i informed him if there is any debris or sand from the well in the sprinkler i cant warranty the sprinkler. Sure enough after taking apart the sprinkler it had some sand in the bottom of the can. As my employee proceeded to replace the sprinkler the customer & i walked around back to the well, we took the cover off and i bent down to explain where we would have to install a sand filter. After talking for about 20 seconds squating down the customer yells snake get back!! A copperhead was no less than one foot from my knee.

Why it didnt bite god only knows, i got up & back slowly and it took me 10 seconds to find the thing, it was so well camoflouged!! We prompty got a shovel and cut it up.

I feel very fortunate, that could have ruined my week!

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

jesus d0od, lol i hate snakes, good thing the customer didnt care what you were talking about and was staring around, lol
  3. I would have snatched him up and put him in my turban..

Attached Files:

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Snakes I have no problem with but probably because I was raised around them. Black widows on the other hand give me the creeps until I squish them.:dizzy:
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've opened the valve boxes and seen snakes, mice, black widows (lots of them Purp!), frogs, salamanders, lizards, snails, slugs, voles. Never a poisonous snake though. Have heard of local guys that have seen rattlers in them though.
  6. greenone

greenone LawnSite Member
    from ontario

That is crazy!! Glad to hear all ended well. In Canada we only have to worry about the odd polar bear:canadaflag:
  7. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

copperheads blend in so well. impossible to see.
  8. PurpHaze

... and the insane moose? :)
  9. PurpHaze

I love it when you open the valve box and it's full of water from sitting in a low spot. No black widows. :)

What I hate the most is what we call "piss ants"... those little red/black ants that bite you all to hell and back. There's been a couple of times where I've had to take refuge in a site nurse's office for medical treatment with bites all over my body. :cry:
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah the reason we carry a can of ant killer around with us. Also carry a case of wasp and hornet spray. If it stings, bites or hisses we spray it. I would rather pay 3 bucks a can and stay away from the nurse than the 100 plus they charge to see them.