Very confused as to which mower to buy

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ladieu, Mar 18, 2014.

1. dcfas

dcfas LawnSite Member

Hey Ducnut, does that 9 year old ztr have the original hydros? I'm wondering if the ezt's will last that long (500+ hrs). Sorry 'bout jacking the thread.

To the OP: I'm getting a ztr because of leaves. I want to pull an attachment from time to time; nothing heavy. Otherwise I'd go for a commercial walker.

2. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. I've pulled them, cleaned out the cases, and filled with fresh oil. Though, I'm not sure they're as smooth with this oil as what they originally were filled with. I'd sure like to know the exact oil they do use. I need to stop in there, sometime, and ask someone in assembly. But, they'll easily go past 500hrs, unless abused, of course.

4. ladieu

ladieu LawnSite Member

That seems like a good option for me, thanks. Am looking to spend less than $3k sorry I should have said that from the get go

I don't mind working on the mower, I just don't want to have to put $500 to $700 a season into it just to get it to limp along. If i put $100 or so into maintenance a year that seems acceptable to me.

By the way I tried a walk behind, and apparently they are designed for short people. I am 6' 4" so I can already tell that would be a nightmare for my back

5. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what brand walk behind you tried. If you tried a scag, the controls are lower than a exmark. Were you on a sulky of just walking behind it? You can get a sulky that is a lot lower to the ground.

6. ladieu

ladieu LawnSite Member

Yes I saw the proslide sulky and it looks interesting. However it's $300.

I'm half considering just running behind the darn thing, I've got a healthy spare tire I've been wanting to reduce. I used to run 50k trail runs before my son was born :D

7. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It is not as bad as it may seem to walk behind them. That is what they are designed to do.