Very Controversal Idea.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LouisianaLawnboy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I have been thinking of doing this.

There is a nice, middle class neighborhood with about 100 homes. I'm still in HS, and am thinking of sending out 100 postcards for Spring Break.

The postcard would look like a coupon code and would give them a free coupon to be used within the week of Spring Break for 1 FREE cut. If they want to sign up, the price will be the same. About 30.00 to 35.00

2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

When I first started I thought of many different ideas on how to build my client base quickly, and one idea was similar to yours except I was going to offer 50% off first mowing, thinking they would see the quality of my work and hire me full time, but what I got was alot of people who wanted to take advantage of the offer and that was it! The type of clients that you will get from that type of deal is not the type you want, they will be PITA clients, they will say things like, could you start coming bi-weekly instead or my personal favorite, Can I just call you when it needs mowing? I know its tough to build a client base early on, but put an ad in the yellow pages or the local paper and it will pay off. Also the clients you get from those will probably also refer you to people they know if you do quality work. Word of mouth is the best way to get clients, and it does take time. Just do good work and treat people right and the money will come. It took me about 4 years to get to a point that I could pay all my bills from lawn care alone.GOOD LUCK

3. LouisianaLawnboy

Well I've been doing this for about 3 years part time. I understand what your saying, but this would be targeted. It wouldn't be open to everyone, and the coupon would be non-transferable, and only good for one week.

4. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

It is probably a good idea then, and mainly it will introduce you to the neighbors and hopefully they will remember your name.Just never send this type of advertising to certin areas(everyone knows the areas I am referring to!) call some printing places and see about door hangers. I bought 2000 for around $50. a few years back, came with custom printing also!

5. LouisianaLawnboy

Yea I know what you mean. IF I go and do a freebie, then I'll give them a load of info with my logo on it. Also it will get people talking about, well about ME:eek:!

6. LouisianaLawnboy

Why is everyone else staying away. I need some input. Please.:D

7. madisonpressurewashing

madisonpressurewashing LawnSite Senior Member

Why cut your self out of $40. I just give them a few free extra things after they sign up for a year worth of work. I give out like a one time free fertilizer or de-thaching.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Give it some time, sometimes a few hours does it but 24 hours should be plenty.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the idea.

I have no problem helping out clients with "freebies".

BUT, this is after they've been with me 2-4-7-10-15 years, not right off the bat.

You give away free things right from the get go, you'll be giving away the business.

Give them literature with pictures of properties you already maintain, or tell them what properties you already maintain for examples on your work.

At the very least, tell them that you'll give them a free cut in June, after 3 months of continual service, just not the first one.

10. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

SpringBreak may be too early for people to be thinking about the grass getting cut. I would offer a 2 for 1 deal, they get one free after paying for the first one. Then you go back and talk about a seasonal gig. I also offer a "Lawn Coupon" for father's day. The wife or kids can buy gift certificates from us at the low cost of $40.00 per certificate, and that gives dad a weekend off when he needs it. The only stiplulation is that they need to schedule the visit 48 hours in advance. We sell a buch of and guess what, in the 3 years we have done this, we have only had about a 50% call rate. They give them, pay for the service, and we have an dead date on the certificate (Valid for 90 days after purchase) and in about 15% of the ones that use the coupon, we convert to regular customers. If you send post cards, send several and door hangers, and flyers, saturate your target market, but don't give the farm away!