Very discouraged

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Watkinslawnservice, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I just started a lawn service business last year. I do only mowing, clean-ups, and aerating part time. My major gripe is that I spent over $1200.00 in advertising last year to do only a little over $5000.00 in sales. Does this seem extrordinarily high to you? Makes me not want to do any advertising this year.

2. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

3. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

how many jobs did you price????

4. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't price very many that I didn't get. And almost half of what I did get came from word of mouth and I would have gotten without any advertising at all.

5. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

Post your add so we could give you some tips

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Where did you advertise? What means of advertisements did you use? What time of the season did you advertise? Your advertising did you have a call to action or was it more of an informational ad? Did you offer any kind of incentives? Off topic: Did you offer any kind of referral program?

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You HAVE TO ADVERTISE if you WANT TO GROW SIGNIFICANTLY.

Your probably just spending the $$$ in the wrong areas of advertising. Post cards, Doorhangers, and flyers are the big business movers+

And at the very least a Yellow Page "Listing" (about $15.00 per month) is a necessity.

Once you get enough "Good" clients, then you can ask for referals

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I found advertising to be a total waste of time. You will get a much better grade of customer from referals. Most folks who respond to your ads for lawn mowing, will be looking for the low bid. You do not need those type of customers.
    Do good work, and your customers will spread the word. Also, put some nice looking signs on your truck, with nice large phone numbers. That will get you a lot of calls. Flyers, newspaper ads, etc. just attract cheapskates for the most part from my experience.

9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I find it depends alot on the area, advertising works quite well around here

10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, it really does depend. It depends a lot on if you are shotgun advertising or if you are advertising to a certain group as well. Also, it depends on what stage your business is in on what type of advertising you can do and be effective at. What I mean is. A company that has been around 5, 10 , 15+ years may have a very good solid customer base. If this is the case a referral base push would be best. No doubt that a referred customer is a better customer. However, you have to have customers to do good work and to have them refer someone to you. This means you are going to have to get the word out there some how to people letting them know what you do. For a smaller company without a good amount of capital I do not recommend spend big bucks in yellow page ads, billboards, etc. Do what you can afford, but do it, do, it do, it. If you do not, You will not...

*** You will atteact a lot of cheapskates in the begining just like it was mentioned. You will have to learn to weed them out.