Very fast growing grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CFB, May 9, 2007.

1. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Here in my part of the country weekly mowings are honestly too far apart in most cases. I mow weekly anyway even though the grass is often out of control. I have several accounts where the grass has grown 7" and more in parts in one weeks time. It's like mowing a hayfield. Not all my accounts are like this but many are.

Do any of you in the MW mow every 4 or 5 days in the spring and fall? I'm not really sure what to do about this but I know that when I go and mow a lawn that is that long, it is embarrasing to me to let it get that crazy, and it just plain sucks to mow grass that long all the time.

Any advice?

2. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same position you are in right now. My weekly schedule is definitely not working. I'm going to call some of my clients and put them on a five day schedule I think.
    I will continue this until the grass slows down a bit.

This will be somewhat of a scheduling nightmare, but the grass will look much nicer.

3. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

We are in the same "BOAT". Growing like crazy and can't mow because of standing water. Not positive, but I think we have got 4-5 inches of rain in the last week. The positive side is all equip is has been serviced. Does anyone make a set of pontoons for mowers?? LOL

4. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

u have to take the good with the bad, summer time that grass will take u no time.if its growing that fast bet on it being over fertilized and it will stress out during hot times.

5. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, it sucks but what I do when its that awful is I cut it once with a SD deck or mower then I go back over it with a bagger so my customers dont end up with a thousand pounds of 'hay' in their yard.

6. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been double cutting and sometimes triple cutting...and that is at the 4" setting on my mowers...7-8" of NEW growth is what I am dealing with...sucks

7. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Getting dry here... been pumping water full fource on the golf course.. grass is still growing but signs of dryness deff setting in!!!

8. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Cut more often or bag, all you can do. Personally i'm bagging since 5 day cuts just wont fly in this area, and even if it did my schedual can't support it.

9. springover

springover LawnSite Member

Its not just the growth, the grass is so saturated. Dry tall grass isnt too bad but, this is killing us.

10. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I definetely am not bagging so I guess I'll bump it up to every 5 days for those lawns. This is why I make sure and have an agreement with my customers that I will mow when it needs it, and I am the one who decides when that is. I tell them sometimes this means every 4 or 5 days in the spring or fall.

But.

I just don't want it to look like I am mowing as often as I can just to steal a few extra mowings throughout the year. And I wondered if anyone else mowed more frequently this time of year.