very frustrated

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, Jun 7, 2004.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

I've been using a bench grinder for a year now to sharpen my blades and I haven't been satisfied with the edge im getting, its never as sharp as I wanted it, so I go out and buy a 4 1/2 inch hand held angle grinder today because the dealer says they are a lot better than bench grinders. I put the blade in the vice and tried to get an edge on it, but it was terrible.... Any tips??? I'm going crazy, almost ready to buy the Magna-Matic...

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What was you using on the hand held grinder? I use a flap style sanding disc, works great everytime.

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Yup. I like flap discs too. They also cover more surface area then regular disc, so you dont have to go across the blade as many times.

4. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

I use a 36 or 50 grit fiber disc in the angle grinder, and it works great. Much better than the grinding wheels. They last quite a while and are very cheap (75¢)

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got mine (Magna-Matic) today and am now wondering why I waited for so long to get one. Fast, precise and won't turn my blades blue.

magna-matic-001w.jpg

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

THAT'S IT!!!

:eek:

I'm calling Magna Matic and ordering a new 9000 with all the trimmings tomorrow.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm about to order everything, the 9000, the stand, the balancer, the wheel dresser, an extra stone wheel, the vacuum adaptor.......everything they offer.

I'm getting tired of paying people to sharpen my blades for me when I could do a better job myself.

I'm tired of getting blades back that have curved tips after only 1-2 sharpenings. :eek:

I'm spending the $$.

7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i ordered mine last week ...still waiting

:blob2: :blob2:

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

they say the 8000 is the one to get for true mulching blades (curvy/wavy). check the magna forum..

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Green Pastures

Do it man! :) I would also suggest you get the extended work table. I think the extra length on the platform would help with certain blades. It is an awesome machine.

I think it is funny how many dealers do not have a true blade grinder, ran into a couple very recently. I believe one of the dealers uses a hand file. :p

Jay

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

If you look hard enough you can find a used one. I got this neary 410 w/ diamond dresser and vacuum hood for $200 off a buddy last week. He paid close to $700 for it 4 years ago. I wish I had gotten one sooner. I original wanted a Fireball, but the price was right on this one.

neary grinder resized.jpg