very helpful

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by ozz321, Jun 13, 2006.

1. ozz321

ozz321 LawnSite Member

i posted on this site a few days ago in regards to the clarity of my pond. i was amazed at the all the wonderful responses i received. im just a back yard gardener, not a professional like most of these people on this site, but was so glad for the time everyone took to respond to me. i will use the advise i was given, some of it i have not tried yet, but someone had mentioned about barley. i've had a few people tell me this will clear it up, but quite honestly, i have a hard time believing that barley will do it if chemicals didnt. any advice on how the barley works would be great. i tried to put a pic on here of my pond but i must be having a blonde moment. not sure how to do it..
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

The articles I've read about barley, say that as it breaks down in your pond water. Hydrogen peroxide is formed. If I remember correctly. A lot of the algae killing products made for ponds, are made up of mostly hydrogen peroxide. I've never read very much about barley, but if I remember what I did read correctly, that's the story.

3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

im not a 100% on how it works either, but i have had people swear it works and have had people (like me) who think it is a marketing scheme.
    It is supposed to break down and create hydrogen peroxide, thus creating more oxygen which helps keep STRING algae to a minimum.
    I dont see how adding any organic matter into the pond will help eliminate alge since decaying organic matter is what causeed algae in the first place.
    " here put this hay in your pond and it will clear it up" why not just add a bunch of leave to the pond?
    I added barely pellets to 10 of my ponds one season and could never get them clear for the rest of the season. Took me awhile to realize it was the pellets keeping the water cloudy.

Water changes are the best thing you can do for the water clarity and your fish. 10% a week or 40% a month, PLUS at least one 50% a year water change will do wonders.