Very hot outside, all equipment running bad for some reason.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, Jun 27, 2005.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Ever since it got very hot outside, a lot of my equipment seems to be running kind of crappy. My Bunton ZTR after cutting a few lawns starts to rev up and down until I turn it off and let it cool. My echo weedwackers seem to not run as strong as they usually do, and same with my echo backpacks. Last week I had a cooler day cutting and everything seemed to run better. Is this just me or does equipment do this when extreme heat sets in?

Lasher

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

The engines run richer because the air is less dense, which makes your engines run richer, thus the problem. in cold weather, extreme cold, you notice the engine will run the opposite, leaner because the oxygen is moe dense, and will allow for more to be compressed at a time in the cylinder at the time of combustion. its basic physics from middle school if you think about it.

3. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Yep, that's about it. For each 10 degrees above 70, you loose about 10 percent of engine power. It's a good idea to remove your engine shrouds every so often and clean all the engine fins. Clippings can get caught inside and cause the engine to run hot. Dust and grime will cause an engine to run hot too. Keep your air filters clean!

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If the engine does not already have one, install an external oil cooler somewhere where it is going to catch air. That won't help the problem through the intake entirely, but by lowering oil temps you will not only save your engine, it will effect the mixture slightly by lowering internal temps. Now if engine makers did not get the screws put to them by the USEPA when they were forced to installed fixed jetting, you could back a screw out a hair and fix the problem, but don't even get me started on the moronics the government imposes upon the people who pay their salaries.