Very nervous beginner!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 326442, Sep 21, 2006.

1. 326442

326442 LawnSite Member

I'm about to take the leap of faith into the landscaping world! My father/mother did it over 20 years in Miami....but very "Mom & Pop" and yes they put food on the table, roof over our heads....etc!!! Now that I am on the verge of following in their footsteps, I'm wondering if I should!? Guess what I'm asking is????? Can you make $$$$$ as a solo/owner and do well enough to support a family,home,2 children,wife, all the usual responsibilities?

Package startup:
    2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT
    52" Gravely Rider
    Stihl edger
    Stihl trimmer
    Stihl blower
    5 x 10 or 12 trailer

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say yes. But a very basic life, no high dollar luxuries. But I could be wrong.

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

you answered yourself!!!

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know but i would not get a rider your first year you dont know how good of a year you will find out and then u can see if u can make that investment. i also may get a gravly 152Z myself.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Start learning as much as you can about turf care and maintenance. Get A large walk behind (it will keep costs down)blower and weedeater. I hope you already have a truck. Get your prices set so you know what you need to make and hope all your advertising goes well.gl

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I understand that FLA. is not as high paying as some of the other places. So Check into the area you are in as to if it can support another LCO.
    Can a sucessful LCO pay the bills-----YES,

Does it take a lot of work to get there, and investment of time and money, and even a few years of living thin. Yes again.

Sit down and really plan what you need, what you think you can make, (after doing some study in your area), and what you can invest--time , money, sweat, knowledge, and what you think the return will be.
    Go to a "good" dealer and talk about what the investment in equipment will be and than sit with your accountant and see if the numbers work.
    Plan Plan Plan-- Just for fun do this, Cut income in half, and double the cost to operate, now decide if it will work for you. This is close to real life!

7. MO TOYS

MO TOYS LawnSite Member

3264 I hear ya buddy i was also very nervous when i first started up but all that changed when my equipment made me my first dollar then it all turned to determination. Don't worry yourself to death buddy if you are a hard worker determined to succed than the possibility is endless but be smart with your dollars what you do now could come back and bite in the rear so be smart and think every little thing you do with your buisness through good luck.

8. Julio Medina

Julio Medina LawnSite Member
    from IL

This was the best idea to post a thread and I really appreciate everyones input, what is the best way yo get things started.

9. 326442

326442 LawnSite Member

You give me a hope instead of dispair! Some feed backs just give no encourgement. I have all the $$$ to startup, so that's not the concern. It's just about not being able to produce on the return! Thanks again!

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

from what i understand, florida is a VERY tough market, but you do get to mow all year, follow PM's advise, and dont forget to start with a business plan.....:)