Very new to lawn service need help with mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lazysol, Jul 28, 2007.

1. lazysol

lazysol LawnSite Member

We are new to this so bare with me. Me and a buddy are doing this together and we have $5000 to do this we will get a trailer 6x12 for future growth for 1200.00 and need mower, blower,weedeater, and edger. what would be the recommands for starting we were lookig at walk behinds with sulky from exmark 34 or 36" thats around 2700.00 or gravely around the same. I cant or dont know where to look for used ones and help would be great. i figure the rest of the equipment is like 299 each or which one can i go cheaper and wont be bad to use. I dont know any other mower companies to look for to get better prices any help would be great.
    Thank you,
    Rob

2. leevubehind

leevubehind LawnSite Member

I"am in Ocala just south of you I have a Ferris 36" hydro walkbehind with a brand new EZ ride sulky has less than 150 hours, I also have a 6x12 trailer with weed eater rack & front lockable storage cage $2800.00 for both. You can also look on ocala4sale.com or gainsville4sale.com there sometimes is equipment for sale there

3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

You can look for used equipment in the equipment and parts marketplace on this site, on craigslist, and on ebay. You can also look at dealers and keep your eye out for mowers on the side of the road.

4. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, well i wouldnt get the gravelys. the ecs control on the exmarks are way easier than the pistol grip. do lots and lots of reseach. see what kind of mower you like. test drive all of them. then buy it used. put a little money back for some advertising. get some business cards made. you could look on craigslist.com, the paper, the local classifieds paper, and go to some mower hops and ask if they've got anything used. but, do you want 2 walkbehinds and 2 weed eaters and 1 blower? tell me the quantity you were thinking about!! then post back .

5. lazysol

lazysol LawnSite Member

Are you selling this setup for 2800

6. lazysol

lazysol LawnSite Member

I think start out with a 34" or 36" walkbehind one weedeater, one edger, and one blower, then get a rider later does that sound right

7. DillonsLawnCare

yeah thats perfect......no im not selling that....(i dont know who u were talking to) just buy the mowers used and the handheld crap BRANDNEW. and get the commercial grade stuff. dont ever go with a homeowner weed eater. what brands of handhelds were you looking at?

8. leevubehind

leevubehind LawnSite Member

yes both trailer & walkbehind I also have a weed eater that would get you started.

9. DillonsLawnCare

hey lazysol, that guys making a great offer!! what kind of weedeater do you have??? what year is the ferris???????????

10. DillonsLawnCare

andd what model is the ferris.??? hey lazysol, you can go to ferrisindustries.com to look at al the specs to see if you like the mower, once this guy gives us more info..