Very slow

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FL&G, Mar 9, 2005.

1. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

We had another 5 inches of snow last night in my area.
    I have been running ads for the last three weeks and have only gotten three responses. Do you think I should run an ad outside my target area?
    The paper I have been advertising in ships to four towns in my corner of the state. If I ran one in another paper it would mean quite a bit more commuting to any potential new accounts.
    Its only 18 degrees in the sun right now, do you think it could be the weather ?

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Of course it’s the weather I am holding my advertisement until it improves made that mistake you did last year. Weather looked good sent out 1000 letters then winter came back for 2 more weeks Knocked me down to a 1% rate which for what I do is horrid. We do mailings of property owners on streets we wish to work on so we hit 100% target audience and that we find is far better then blanketing just anybody. If you do not own property or you in school you are not going to be a customer for me so I cannot see contacting you. Thankfully the latter 3500 letter scored us more then 80 accounts.

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Are you advertising for plowing or landscaping? If landscaping, you are wasting your time and money. Too soon, Try 4/1 - on

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Snow? What is that?

5. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

Do you use a direct mailing service or do you send them out yourself?

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Our selves the first year we bought a list on line and that work ok last year we built our own which was rather time consuming but worked very well. This year we built our own again only we bought the property owners list from the town. Milford's was on CD cost to us $50 Orange was on disk cost us $75 with that we got it in the format we wanted and the owner and mailing address of every house and building in those 2 towns. All we had to do was enter the streets we wanted and clean up the list from things like all CAPITALS and multiple family members on the same listing. When we can we always pick the wife they never fail to over ride the husbands empty yard work promises and hire us instead.

7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

It's that white stuff that brings southern states to a complete halt about once a season or so. :cool:

8. FL&G

FL&G LawnSite Member
    from R.I.

Thank you , I really appreciate the adivce.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

White stuff Danny for us that falls from the sky and turns into $$$

10. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

All of our mowing, f/wc, etc... advertising goes out mar.28-april 28. good luck! payup