very small oil leak wreck the lawn??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey humphrey, May 10, 2008.

1. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

i kinda have a ??? i have a very small oil leak on my mower and it leaves a very little amount of oil on my stripe roller just enough to make the roller shiny i wash the mower once a week and i am anal about the maintenance i bought the mower used and it is the bottom seal i am a small guy in the biz!!! i will get this fixed have time!! has any body else had this problems ?? just need some feed back
  2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont think ur gonna have an issue from a drop of oil here and there
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yea he's right....... hot motor oil leaking all over a striper roller wont ever kill grass.....
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Fix it as soon as you get a chance, about all you can do.
  5. badluck

badluck LawnSite Member

i would not spend one second worrying about your small oil leak on a lawn
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take off the stripe roller and stop washing the machine dirt will built up and stop it from falling onto the ground.....
  7. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Oil shouldn't affect the lawn at all in that small of an amount. I've several times filled my trimmer full of gas and then walked off without the cap on!!!! Now that can be a problem with a trail of dead grass all the way till I finally noticed. Just be grateful it was oil and not gas. Good Luck
  8. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

NAPA has a seal conditioner additive that may fix your problem. I think Aimsoil does too, I wouldn't use anything else. I have used the NAPA conditioner to fix many an oil leak over the years from leaky seals. usually only needs to be added once and the problem is fixed. it costs about $3.00 and worth a shot, or try some High Mileage engine oil on your next oil change.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Did this with my BR600, luckily my jeans soaked it all up!!
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Drips are a pita for sure, had a trimmer vent that would drip occasionally , would see little dead spots about the size of a quarter but only around the edges where I trimmed.