Very wet Chain Saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1mowlawn, Feb 3, 2003.

1. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

I accidentially dropped my Stihl 024 Wood Boss into a creek over the weekend. Any advice on what I should do ?? it was in the water for maybe 5 seconds and it did sub-merge. I have a friend that said he would use his air hose to blow off all the moisture. I will probably just take it in to my Stihl dealer and let them look it over, I sure hope I didn't ruin the saw, it's been a very good saw.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Take off the carburetor and dry that out. When it is dry use some HEET in the gas and run that tank dry. Good Luck

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

have you tried to crank it? no water can get in the tank so no need to replace the gas. I say pull the plug and give her a couple of pulls in case the exhaust port was exposed . shoot some fuel in there and I am sure it'll crank. repeat the priming process a few times in case water got in the carbs. oh yeah, I forgot. pull the air filter, dry it and re-oil.

GEO

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would not try and crank the saw without doing some work first. The most important thing to remember is that water does not compress and causes corrosion. Water may have gotten into the bar oil and the gas tank as both of those caps are vented to allow air into the tanks. Water may have also gotten into the cylinder via the muffler if the exhaust value was open. I would take the saw apart and clean, dry and air everything out. I would also dump the fuel and the bar oil then clean both tanks and refill both. Then you can try and crank the saw. I know like this sounds like a lot of steps but this will help correct the worst possible problems and give you a clean saw in the end. Please let us know the outcome.

Gravely_Man

5. geogunn

from TN

G_M--how is water gonna get in the tanks when the fuel and lube wont even come out if you turn it upside down?

GEO

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

All vented tanks are to allow air to enter tank as fuel/oil is used up. Without venting you would get a vacuum buildup so fuel could not flow to carb. If air hole is covered from outside with any other liquid besides air, that liquid can also enter the tank. But the venting prevents fuel/oil from leaking out.

Not very likely that you would get much, if any, water in either tank if saw was not running and it did not go very deep. But it's good to cover all the bases if you want to use it in future.

7. geogunn

from TN

actually your last statement (not the one I quoted) is really the best way to go. it covers all the bases.

GEO

8. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the advice, My friend blew off the moisture with an air hose and replaced the fuel and bar oil.
    It started on the second pull and seems to be OK.
    thanks again !!

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am glad that everything worked out for you and the saw. Best of luck with it.

Geogunn if you have any questions about water entering the saw please give me a shout.

Gravely_Man