Veteran lawn sevice technician plans to start business spring 2008

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by terryenterprises, Oct 30, 2007.

1. terryenterprises

terryenterprises LawnSite Member

I have been in the industry in Nebraska for 5 years. this year i have decided to start my own business and i am open to any suggestion. i am also looking to a quire used equipment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Do a search for any question you might have and there's probably a thread that will help you find your answers! you can learn allot from this site.

3. terryenterprises

I am strictly fertilization, aeration, and weed control. well pretty much anything but mowing. The area is too saturated for that, but getting liscensed around here is more difficult.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

But a large truck from the get go, you will outgrow a pick up truck very fast!

5. terryenterprises

Well I have a Jeep Cherokee But I am going to buy a trailer and hold my equipment on it. that way a can park it away but still have my personal vehicle. Ill hold off on the big truck until my accounts accumulate.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A skid sprayer (200gal) and a spreader is all you need--you are in business. Maybe in 2 years you will graduate to a one-ton truck--add a 300 gallon tank and a couple of valves to your skid sprayer. Or you may want go to with a Permagreen.

Do you plan on spraying weed control separate--or mixing fertilizer in the tank? If so, you may need some type of agitation. And better filters.

Nothing is more important than good customer service--get that right and the rest will follow. I hope it works out for you.

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

don't sell yourself short and know your costs.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

John E at LESCO in Omaha is a great source of information & tips. Also, I have two aerators in fine shape for sale (Ryan lawnaire 5 and a LESCO (same size). Also have Tuflex spray tanks, Hannay hose reels, 3/8 inch spray hose, and LESCO spreaders (like new).

If you are interested, send me a PM. Best wishes, americanlawn:usflag:

9. terryenterprises

Well im definately interested in some of your equipment, and i will definately give lesco a call.

10. loser135

loser135 LawnSite Member
    from TN