1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Veterans discount?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by New_Business, Jul 22, 2008.

1. New_Business

New_Business LawnSite Member

Hey guys I cut one of my customers lawns for basically nothing. I break even. He is a returning veteran from Iraq. Is this a good idea?
  2. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

if you can afford it i say do it.

i cut an older vet's lawn for basically even i may make ten or so but he is not able to do it or he would, he has the stuff and sometimes cuts about two laps before he has to get back on the oxegen. if i start getting hungry i'll have to stop or charge more but i can do it now so i do.
  3. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

I give 20% off to deployed spouses... seamed like a good marketing idea for the area, but I haven't advertised it as well as I should. I am just starting up and need to get my name out there, plus I live within 2 miles of all the houses that would be calling me anyways....
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I have a 30% deployment discount. If a spouse is deployed it applies.

I periodically advertise a veterans discount also of 2 free months service (16.5% discount), but only if they sign up for annual lawn/snow service.

I also do FREE spring cleanups to family's that have a deployed spouse if they really NEED it.

Supporting those who keep us free is a priority for me.
  5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i dont have a set amount that i give, but i do take care of the vets. as far as spouses go, from what i've heard the family is getting a pretty penny when a soldier is deployed, so i dont unless i know its needed. i also try to take care of single moms, especially the onoes w/ kids.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Nope, not at all.
    Soldiers, regardless if a man or woman, receive considerable additional compensation when deployed.
    Remaining spouses are eligible for all manner of Federal, State and some Municipal benefits meaning their economic situation is actually improved once they are deployed.
    For those civilian troops who volunteered as a reservist or national guard, well they should have known what they were geting into.
    Try talking to a credit agency or whomever you owe money too and relate that you are essentially giving your business away - will they cut you a break?
    Business is business, not a substitute for a misplaced patriotic fervor.
  7. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

Ther's a scrooge in every crowd.:usflag:
  8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Nope, no I'm not. What I am is a pragmatic business person whom also happens to be a US Army Veteran. So I know what the Land of the Big PX looks like both coming and going.
  9. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

It is true my paychecks were up about 50%... but I would be doing the lawn, instead my wife had to try and find time to get out there with a newborn and a 2 year old. PLus she didnt know how to run a hedge trimmer... got 2 yard tickets for overgrown hedges.

For me its really about getting work, being seen doing the work, and being seen as a good guy that helps people. Plus its not like cutting lawns is the only thing I do, so if these families want to spend a little of there per diem on some yard upgrades when the spouse gets back:usflag:
  10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I also wouldnt give a discount. I have my own bills to pay for. I appreciate what all veterans and current military personal are doing for us and they are paid through my taxes.