Veterans: What do you wish you would've done differently when starting out?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keene Landscaping, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Keene Landscaping

Keene Landscaping LawnSite Member

What do you wish you would've done differently?

Equipment?

Advertising?

Bidding?

Trailer?

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Borrowed money, spent more on ads and equipment, hired experienced help to make it work.

3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Borrowed money? Wow...didn't expect that answer.

I probably would have spent more on advertising and less on equipment. It works itself out in the end, though. Despite what anyone tells you there's more than enough work out there for everybody. I see hundreds of LCO's in a 10 mile radius here...it's silly. Phone never stops. I could have 8 billion accounts if I wanted. Just have no desire for it.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I would have stayed a small solo op and focused on my Law Enforcement career. Would have gone DEA or Customs.

Best advice I can give is keep equipment to minimum to operate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I agree with hackitdown, more efficient equipment sooner. Never realized how much we were losing limping along older equipment beyond it's useful life.

Also would have dropped undesirable customers sooner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Dropping PITA's is a good one. When you first start out you think you can change the world, though.

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm pretty sure we all think the same, if I lose this customer I'm out x amount of revenue, when in reality you can make a lot more by dumping them for better customers.

Also forgot to mention setting up systems within your business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im not really sure what I could have done different. I started part time and worked a full time job for the first 18 months. I grew at a nice pace but I will say the next 18 months were tough. Last 2 years have been almost automatic and have been good years.

Equiptment wise I bought more stuff than Ive used. I have a 4k sod cutter that I have made a penny with, never used the power rake I bought eighter, and a list of other stuff.

The one thing Ive alaways struggled with is Winter Income, still haven't figured that one out yet.

9. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

My biggest mistakes: Not learning the word "no", being afraid to charge correctly for my services, not dropping PITAS quick enough, dealing with any customer over 65, you get what you pay for, assuming everyone is gonna pay you , not being extremely detailed on what services are provided for x amount of dollars, continuing service when customer hasn't paid in two months.

10. Keene Landscaping

Keene Landscaping LawnSite Member

That's funny, that's the field I am trying to go into. I figured the lawn biz would be a nice side complement.