Veterans: What do you wish you would've done differently when starting out?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keene Landscaping, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Haha actually that was the same field I was/still am trying to get into too! lol
    State Troopers don't do too bad but with a side of Landscaping they would live very good.

2. Keene Landscaping

Keene Landscaping LawnSite Member

sounds like we need a thread for lawn enforcement/ landscaping lol

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

someone on here has the name Lawn enforcement.

When I started they didn't have a degree in things like Landscape Design or Architecture… maybe they did in some obscure place that I couldn't find…but ti wasn't like they had search engines and stuff like they do now.

I think I would have liked to get a degree in design from the get go instead of going to school for arboriculture (trees) which was as close as I could find (frikken north east, full of trees right?)

I had an opportunity to go into golf course design… I think that would have been a good career for me too. As a Superintendent.

I don't think I knew golf would take off like it did.

hands dow I should have done more install/design earlier on, instead of focusing on maintenance. I think I'd have a better portfolio and more stuff to drive by and show pics of.

Now it's like, see this pic? I used to mow this place before I got under bid :laugh:
    Doesn't really have the "thunda"

I wish I had all dove tails and Isuzu's from day one. and I still haven't learned my lesson because i still buy pick ups… whats wrong with me?

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I like those ones

5. Keene Landscaping

Yeah I think being able to say "no" will help you more than hurt you.

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I wish I did more advertising.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Hired earlier
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Keene Landscaping

When is a good time to hire your first employee? When you can't keep up or before?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Not so much did things wrong though we all make mistakes due to being green running a business.

Those mistakes have to be made. Though as long as care is taken to avoid as many as possible the ones that are made will not sink you.

I thought about doing this back in 1972. Uncle suggested I go to local SUNY for Horticulture/Landscaping program. I was mowing lawns. Did not see Landscapers driving all over the place back then so I did not see enough demand for work. So I went in other directions.

When the economy dumped in 2007. I scrambled around for work until the spring of 2011. Now in my fourth year I do wish that I had gotten back into this work in 2008.

I will say what I would not change about how I started was to stay out of debt. Not buy on credit. Make due with the equipment and tools that I had.

What would of made starting up and growing the business is money for advertising. I could not afford the local newspaper until my third year. Hoping to have a website to start out my fifth year.

10. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I would have turned down more business in the beginning. I've been pretty good about turning down low bid customers, however I've still managed to wind up with a few that I'm going to have to drop as time goes on.

One thing I'm extremely glad for is that I had good credit and I used it to buy a new mower. With my full time job I can afford to pay for my mower using that income alone, and buy starting out with a medium sized commercial ZTR it has allowed me to pick up clients that I would have had to turn down had I been using a 21 push mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device