Vibrating sound in my Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

When I engage my blades on my Exmark Metro HP 48" the deck puts out a pulsing vibrating sound. It can cause the entire machine to rumble and it is rather noisy. I was just wondering what you guys think it would be? I sharpen my own blades and balance them, still does it, bought new blades, still does it. Could it be a spindle problem? If it were, what does a new spindle cost...would it be covered under warranty, its one year old. Can you fix a spindle, or are they just shot? Possibly the pulleys or something like the berings in them? Let me know what you think. Thanks
    Erik

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A pulsing sound sound when the blades are engaged is usually blade balance or for some reason 1 blade is not spinning at the same speed as the other(s). The spindles have a 3 year warranty. To check the spindles remove the blade belt(s). Then move the blade engagement lever to the engaged position. Then grab the blade at the tip and see if it will rock up and down. If it moves more than the thickness of the blade you need to have the spindle serviced or replaced.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like the bearing to me too. if your spindale is not loose
    check blade level.sounds like it could be bent. in 25 yrs ive never bent a spindle,so if you will think back you should be able to remember when it happened.by the way ive hit many things that got the blades ,just lucky i guess.luck

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

richard--how does this work? if you remove the belts, how does engaging the blade lever make any difference?;)

sounds like it's gotta be a bearing problem.

GEO

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It releases the blade brake. Exmarks use a blade brake that is a "shoe" that pushes on the spindle pulley to brake the blades. If you don't release the blade brake on the spindle that has the brake then you can't check for bearing play because the brake will be holding the pulley that is attached to the spindle and the brake can make the bearings seem tighter than they are.

Try saying all of that without taking a breath!