1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Vibration problem w/ Shindawa T2500 trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JohnTN47, Apr 19, 2008.

1. JohnTN47

JohnTN47 LawnSite Member

I have a Shindawa T2500 weed eater about 4 years old. I bought it for the 4-cycle feature, lower noise, lower emissions. It has developed a bad vibration. It certainly doesn't have handles that isolate the vibration from operator. Has anyone had this problem? How was it solved?

2. I6pwr

I6pwr LawnSite Member

FWIW, I don't have that model but I have the Ryobi 825R 4-stroke. The straight shaft attachment needs a new spool head and I have noticed a great deal of increased vibration, my left hands swells a little. I removed the straight shaft and installed my curved shaft from my 2-stroke powerhead and the vibration practically went away.

Sounds like more a balance issue in the spool...can you switch attachments or is it a fixed trimmer?

HTH

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If the vibration is coming through the shaft, I would agree with HTH. In addition, if it has a lot of hours on it and you have not frequently greased the gearhead, I would suspect wear in the bevel gears or wear in the splines fittings on either end of the drive shaft.

Dutch

4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

take the head off and run it that will tell you all you need to know