{{{{{{{vibration}}}}}}}

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

My Chopper XT has what I would consider a serious vibration... because my hands are all tingly today from it.

I started to notice it earlier in the year and asked my dealer to check it out back then. He did.. and said he didn't find anything out of the ordinary. I said okay but... there is definitely a difference between it and my SP model.

Well.. today I needed to use doubles because the grass has really taken off. So I start it up and engage the blades and the vibration is more pronounced than ever. Next.. I start cutting the grass and the vibaration is even more severe. To top it off.. when I go up any kind of grade (even the slightest) even more vibration. I can feel vibration going up grade even with the blades disengaged.

Anyone have any idea what would be causing so much vibration? I know it's not the blades.. so please don't suggest I check or try others.. I have. It seems to me that the more load there is on the machine the worse the vibration is and I don't think I'm putting any out of the ordinary load on this machine. Also.. FYI the engine never seemed to loose any significant power.

Thanks in advance.

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked your oil lately? Could be the oil or maybe the hydrostatic pumps. Could also be something out of canter with the engine or a pulley/belt. Hope this helps!

3. jgc8fan

jgc8fan LawnSite Member

Sounds like something in the deck... Maybe the deck belt is slipping, or one or more arbors may be wearing out, or even a loose pulley. Are you greasing the arbors regularly??? Ours gets a vibration if we forget or don't get enough grease packed into the arbors. If you've been mowing wet grass the grease in them goes (wherever it goes away to) a lot quicker.

The only other thing I can think of is your PTO clutch could be wearing. Speaking of PTO clutch... Check that pulley... I had a vibration last year, and finally found out that a small piece of wood had caught in the pulley under the belt. Once I dug it out the vibration went away.

4. BENTLEY'S

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

Loose pulley.
    Worn belt.
    Blades balanced?

Good luck!

Bentley's

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check ALL your belts for flat spots, The deck drive belt would be the most critical one.
    Good luck

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

the blades were off and it still happened? restorob is good advice what has changed since you last used the mower?

7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for all the replies.. I will run through each suggestion tomorrow.

What has changed since I last used the mower? Like I said the vibration has always been there but the conditions have changed... the grass is actually growing now and I had to throw on doubles. More load (grass & blades) = more vibration...

Thanks again.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That's a good place to start, especially if you have really strained the drive... like wedging it up crossing a curb or slipped the belt trying to nose up an steep little slope to save string trimming, ect.

The next thing I would check is all the pulleys, starting with those at the engine first.

I would also check all the engine mounting bolts, hydro mounting bolts, ect, to make sure they are there and tight. I'd also check to see if there are any vibration isolation bushings missing from these mounting points. Not sure if Dixie has those or not.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is one other thing that just came to mind, Pop your cross belt off and raise the front then free spin your blade on each spindle and watch the blade bolt for any wobble, Could be a bent shaft. Hard to believe ? Nope, I've seen a few and even busted housings.

Take care

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What did you find Tom?
    Years back I met Eric ELM and he fired up his diesel Dixie for me. He then engaged the blades (doubles as you know) and I thought a Blackhawk helicopter was coming in for a landing. Very impressive. I don't really have any suggestions on what to check as they were all covered above but I do have to ask is this the first time you have run doubles on this machine? Either way I hope you get it figured out.