Vibration

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Propdoc, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

What could be causing my Lazer Z HP to vibrate/shake when I move the steering handles forward quickly. It just recently started and I was wondering what I could do to fix it. It has the 23 Kohler with a 52 inch deck. It stays straight and doesn't pull to either side.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Propdoc,

I'm pretty sure your pump drive belt is slipping. What is occurring is that the belt slips and then begins to "chatter". You should be feeling some pulsing in the drive sticks as well. The problem may be better or worse on hills, it just really varies.

The fix is pretty simple. Most of the time all you need to do is get the machine up in the air high enough that you can pull the belt off the spring loaded idler, then grease the pivot point and work the idler back and forth a couple of times. This will usually fix the problem and get you through the season. Most often if the pivot is greased regularly it performs just fine. If you really want to do a good job of lubricating this pivot point you should pull the belt off of the idler pulley once per month and then grease it.

The concern is if you run it too long in it's current condition that you'll begin to wear the belt and cause it to fail. You don't want to change this belt in the field.

Ultimately what really needs to be done is to have the idler pivot disassembled to evaluate its condition. Not only should the arm pivot freely but upon disassembly the bushing should rotate and you should be able to slide it in and out of the arm with little resistance. There are only a couple of things that can cause this bushing to not pivot freely. Things like debris and lack of lubrication are the most common. Proper lubrication will generally get rid of any contamination and keep the arm pivoting properly. If you do disassemble the pump drive idler we are recommending that the bushing be replaced if it's not in perfect condition and adding a hardened steel washer between the arm and the frame. The washer just helps to ensure that the bushing doesn't get damaged through wear or from over tightening upon installation.

Thanks

Terry

3. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry for the quick response as always. I'll give a look first chance.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Propdoc,

When you get ready to look at the idler give me a call if you have any questions.

Also if your going to have your dealer look at it for you let me know which dealer and I'll give them a call as well.

Thanks

Terry