1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

vibratory plow advise

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by robo planter, Sep 7, 2005.

1. robo planter

robo planter LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a used vibratory plow with a boring atachment ,to install irrigation. My irrigation man swears by Burkeen. I know parts and repair can be a problem. But I do have a guy near to me that works on them. What do you think about Burkeen and do you know of any for sale. Or other models you would reccomend. Thanks
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Case may have the largest support network, but their Maxi-Sneaker is outweighed by the Ditch-Witch 410sx and Vermeer LM-42. Burkeen is barely a blip on the map compared to the big three, but that doesn't mean their machine can't do a good job.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Case and Burkeen don't hold a candle to the DitchWith 410sx.

Its the best plow I've ever used.

Though I've never used the LM-42.
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Jon, on this note, considering I'm still renting AND I'm trying desperately to get out from underneath having to use/drive my heavy truck..........what would you think if I said I could acquire a VP12 from the local dealer that had been checked through for 1600? I'm still going to get around to fixing that mini-sneaker, but I just keep dodging spending 1200-1500 on an obsolete machine at this point. Then I shell out 250-300 each time I rent a 410......bad money after good, or something like that.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you demo the VP12 on your next job. See if the dealer will cut you a deal.

After using a 410, the VP12 will make you cry. But its better than nothing, and $1600 is a pretty good deal if its low hours.

You can also tow it with something as small as a S-10...which is a nice bonus.

That era of plows have a really steep learning curve. The best operator trick I can give you is to get used to looking through the machine at the blade to determine its depth. I typically guage it by looking at the bottom of the shaker assembly, and not the blade.

Also, driving a Rear wheel steering machine takes a LOT of getting used to. Side operator machines are much easier to use than rear operators, but again, you get what you pay for.

Hey, look whats on e-bay only 2 hours away from me:

Thats a great deal. I'm almost tempted.
  6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

call burkeen, and try to talk to a human.

best of luck. I think they were flattened by the hurricane. I got a free burkeen trencher with a broken axle. So far I am upside down in this deal.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One thing to remember about a VP-12 is its need for a 'good' hook-pattern plow blade with a well-defined point. Without it, the machine tends to beat itself to pieces. maybe you can keep building up the blade point with an arc welder and an angle grinder.
  8. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

We have a Burkeen and 2 Maxi's. The Burkeen is without a doubt one of the mose reliable machines I've ever owned. It's easy to see the blade and pulls better than the maxi. For the Money, the burkeen is a great machine.
    Yes, our's is for sale. $4,500 with the trencher and boring attachments. Why are we selling it? As I am getting older, I really like sitting rather than walking along. Also, the Maxi has a bit faster ground speed which we like better.
    Shoot me an e- mail if you are interested.
  9. trencherchic

trencherchic LawnSite Member

Burkeen has been back in business for a few years so getting parts isn't a problem. They are also building machines. www.burkeen.com or 1-877-307-0513.
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

what a review, serious boots at his best :)