Vibratory plow or trencher?????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MattW, Mar 21, 2003.

1. MattW

MattW LawnSite Member
    from NH

I am just curious what you all use? I have used vermeer and ditchwitch vibratory plows and love them.... I have a chance to pick up a ditchwitch w/ a trencher, drive model. I can buy this for $2500. I am gonna attach a photo of a same or simular model that I can buy.

My question is How do all of you that use the trenchers like it? And what do you like about it over the vib. plow?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Green Grass Irrigation & Lawn Care

ditch.jpg

2. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

I really like a trencher on all new construction. soil in our area can be rocky and we have had pipes damaged pulling them in. If ther e is an existing lawn we use a vibratory plow. customers prefer less damage to lawn

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Conditions will determine what is appropriate. If conditions allow, a plow it is the way to go for established residential. We even use it on new commercial and residential. A plow will go through a gate and is more manuerverable as well. What your looking at is suitable for bigger, more open stuff only.

4. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Dito what harold said.
    This paticuliar machine is used more for commercial work, I believe. They also make a vib plow attachment for it.

I've pulled pipe in every condition imaginable and it's the only way to go, make sure you have plenty of weight and HP and the proper sized bullet to prevent damage to the pipe.
    I never understood why someone would go through all of the extra work of trenching pipe in the ground. Pulling is MUCH faster, the average residential lot takes us about 1 1/2 hours to pull, that's putting the pipe 14 inches deep on avearge

5. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both and prefer the vibratory plow over the trencher. We have mostly sandy soils and some areas of clay and silt. If you are interested I have a LM35 with a brand new deutz diesel that needs a good home, I also have a case Mini sneaker that I just love....email if you need more opinions

6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Case Maxi and used to own a Mini. A couple guys have the Vermeers. The Vermeers appear to do a neater job with less heave and disruption.

Why do you prefer the Case?

7. turfman59

EZ the Mini has a seat, Just something about sitting makes me feel like a Big time operator LOL. The vermeer makes me feel like I need an extra set of hands operating it. I would agree about the heave on the mini in some situations that has been a problem, but sometimes not what is making the heave anyway

8. turfman59

Mike how come you pull the pipe that deep? Isn't 9 inches deep enough?

9. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

matt,

the price seems to be on the low side. a decent trencher new is about $18-$30k (with vibratory plow). you must be purchasing from a second hand dealer or private party.

does the machine have high hours?

are the hydro hoses 'dry rotted' and/or cracked?

has the machine been serviced reguarly?

these are some questions you have to ask your self.

to replace hoses, tires and service machine is going to be ALOT of $$$. we own 2 older machines and they need a little more tlc than the newer ones.

just something to think about.

brian

10. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Hello Bruce.

Good question, there probably is not too much advantage pulling deeper than 9 inches However

1. I think having the pipe deeper adds to a more professional Install.

2. It makes it easy to keep the valve boxes nice and pretty.

3. It keeps the pipe well out of the root zone of the grass.

5. We use the blazing saddle which is a bit taller than a Dawn saddle, it makes it easier to use a riser when the pip is a bit deeper.

6. Here in MN the frost can get into the ground hard and fast, this gives a bit of added protection if we get a hard freeze before we have the chance to blow out the system.

7. Our machine has plenty of ponies and weight so why not?