vibratory plow or trencher

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by advancedlawnsolutions, Feb 2, 2005.

1. advancedlawnsolutions

advancedlawnsolutions LawnSite Member

I've been doing installs for about 2-1/2 yrs now and only about 12 jobs. I've always used a trencher. I have found that I spend a lot of time covering ditches and the yard looks like it went through surgery. What about the vaibratory plow? How can I get 5-6 runs of 1" sch20 pvc in one ditch with a plow? What do some of you more experienced guys find more user friendly and time saving?

2. mickeyg

mickeyg LawnSite Member

My experience using a vibratory plow results in less work, faster installs, cleaner installation( no glueing) and the yard doesn't look like a war zone.
    We used to do the trenching, but now we do the subsurface and polypipe installations. Trenching took to long, depending on soil condition and depth, lots of cross over trenches, then we had to go back and clean the trench, cut pvc pipe, glue,set and bury pipe by hand. We also came back a week later to fill the trench due to settling. With the plow and poly pipe all you do is plow your lines, dig holes where your going to tee into, connect and bury the small area hole. We also liked it because since we used poly throughout the system, the sprinklers could be moved/adjusted rather than fixed with PVC. With poly pipe we also used the "press fit couplings" no glueing. You can also run cable,telephone and low voltage wiring. And how much was all this equipment??? about 19K :dizzy:

3. Rainmaker

Rainmaker LawnSite Member

If you don't want to use poly pipe you can only plow 1 pvc pipe at a time you can plow onther pipe about 6 inches away from it and so on. I'm not saying you can't plow more than one pvc pipe at a time I just don't recommend it. Poly pipe on the other hand we will plow three pipes at a time you can plow 5 or 6 poly pipes but then it gets to be a pain for the service point of fixing the pipes and making the initial connections. Trenchins is alot more labor intensive and on residential installs its not very economical to have the extra equipment for compacting the dirt back in the trench to keep from settling.

4. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Only way to go is a vib. plow. Fast and clean, and in this area if you used a chain trencher on an established yard, you would be out of business in a heartbeat.

5. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

I am not famailiar with the vibratory plow - we use an MT52 with a trencher - but I would like to know more about it.

How deep will it lay pipe?
    How large diameter of pipe will it lay? (frequently we are using 11/2" to 2" for mainlines and some laterals)
    How fast will it lay pipe?

Thanks Guys,
    Fescue

6. Rainmaker

Rainmaker LawnSite Member

depending on the size of the plow you can go from 1" to 2 1/2" pipe and the depth of up to 5' with a big enough machine. The standard Case Maxi sneaker you could plow up to 1 1/2" pipe about 8 to 15 inches deep depending on the blade and soil conditions. If you do alot of commercial work the Vermeer LM-42 is the best compact machine for the job even great on most residential. With a good operator you can lay the pipe in the ground on a normal 10 12 zone house in about 4 hours all you have to do is dig up for the connections. Very minimall damage to existing lawns.

7. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn LawnSite Member

We use a vibratory plow and a trencher on the dingo when needed. We order our 1" PVC with one end belled so that it eliminates the need for a 1" coupler. (anyone else use pvc with belled ends?)

We lay it out over the yard how we want it and glue it then start pulling. Most big jobs we can have all the pipe pulled in a half a day or so. Then the rest of the time is digging up where ya need too. Trencher IMO is the way to go if there is no grass cause ya eliminate having to dig alot to put in your tess and 90*'s.

8. farmer_lab

farmer_lab LawnSite Member
    from KS

A plow is the only way to go. It is so much faster and less of a mess to get to look right when you are done the same day. You can get a mini for around $1000 or get a maxi for 2500 and it would be more than enough to get started at least that is what I did.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You can glue the bell end pvc pipe together and pull hundreds of feet , I have been doing it with a plow for over 20 years . I also attach 2 or 3 chinese fingers and pull 2 or 3 seperate runs at the same time. If you are average with a machine you can plow the pipes as colse as 2 inches from each other.

I do have a ditch witch plow for sale if anyone is looking for one .

10. telcomac

telcomac LawnSite Member

New Member! Great Forum. Started business three years ago. I have been using a Line Ward L-2 Machine. Info can be found at their web site, lineward.com.
    Great machine! minimally invasive to established lawns.