Viburnum pruning

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by David Shaw, Sep 11, 2003.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

This lady I do trimming for has a Viburnum that is looking sickly. It has been there for 40 years. I think it needs cut to the ground for rejuvenation I've attached a picture of what the ends of some aof the branches are doing. Thanks Dave

im000012.jpg

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

It's been dry in your area this summer?

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Could either be too much or not enough water.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. David Shaw

Very dry the past month or more, hot also. But like I said the thing is 40 years old. Could just be in decline? There is new growth coming off the roots that looks okay. Dave

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Did you have a very wet spring?

Was there any ground work done around the shrub?

From what your describing it might be that it was wet in the spring, the roots suffered root damage. Meaning not enough fiborous roots to sustain the plant, not able to get water up to the higher points of the shrub.

That may or may not be the cause, but if that were part of the problem it can also lead into weakening the plant making it more vulnerable to pest and disease.

7. David Shaw

Our spring wasn't very wet. Just normal for here. The first part of the summer was wet for here. Still we are way behind on subsoil moisture content. No there wasn't any ground work around it. She had me prune out the dead spots and it really looks funky. No shape to it.

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I've never seen a vibrunum with berries (fruit) on it. I may be wrong, but I you seem to have something other than a viburnum.
    Pete

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Viburnum x burkwoodii ‘Conoy’
    This evergreen Viburnum was the last, and possibly the finest, of Dr. Egolf’s introductions. Dark red buds open as creamy white to pink flowers amidst the most lustrous of all Viburnum foliage. Later, persistent glossy red fruit brightens the fine textured, deep green leaves, which are pale olive green underneath and tinged with deep maroon in winter. We are fond of this compact, colorful, low spreading shrub in containers, as a dense informal hedge, or in mass plantings.

41/2' x 7' ; late April. Zone 6.

I have Burkwoodi in my yard. Never had berries

Though the leef is not the leaf pictured

10. David Shaw

Uh, I'm sorry. But you've never seen a Viburnum with fruit!? I am fairly certain this is a Viburnum trilobum, American Cranberry Bush Viburnum. Could be a Sargentii or Opulus, they all have very similar leaves. Anyway they all set fruit, it is one of the things that give them multi seasonal interest. A quote from Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs. " The scarlet, 1/2" long fruit are effective from August into October."