vice to repair line trimmers etc.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ericg, Oct 15, 2006.

1. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Hello, does anyone know where to purchase an accessory for a vice or a holding device so that I can repair my line trimmers, hedge trimmers etc.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimmer trap makes one it's a little costly,if you got a vice try a gunsmith shop same thing it's for holding gun barrels. BROWNELLS

JHIGGS LawnSite Member

Try a search for bike repair racks. I picked one up for about $100 delivered. The place I got mine was
    Does what I need it to do.
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

5. martinw

martinw LawnSite Member

a cheep (low use) way is to build a pair of saw horses and saw a notch in the middle of the tops and place the weedeaters in it. It is really cheesy but for a place to work on the in the home shop it's great for doing carb adjustments, and light repair work on them.
  6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I use a small homeowner portable shop table that folds flat for storage and has a Z shape when in use, was about $50. Wish I could remember what the name of it is, want to say Workmate but not sure that is it. The table top is two heavy duty plastic halves that are split and can clamp between them by turning two handles.

The trimmer shaft can be clamped between the two halves, loosened a little and rotate the power head to any position you want, and retighten. I sit on a low stool to work, but it beats trying to hold a trimmer in position by hand and work on it at the same time.

It is also useful as a small drill press stand, chop saw stand, etc, using c-clamps to secure the machine to the table. Table top is about 18 x 24 when closed and will open just wide enough to clamp a 2 x 4 for hand sawing. Think it came from HD or Lowes about ten years ago. Got a lot of good use from it and very satisfied with it.
  7. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks to those of you who replied to my post. Your ideas have given me some good options for working on the trimmers in a manner that is comfortable.