Victor Spear Mole Traps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hud, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

Back when I started out, about the end of '94, someone gave me 2 old Victor spear type mole traps: they are made of heavy steel, they're blue in color though the paint has chipped some over their lifetime, their steel spears are still as sharp as ice picks, and their springs are still plenty powerful. To supplement these, I bought a half dozen new Victor spear traps. The quality was still excellent: heavy steel, powerful springs, ice pick spears. These 8 traps have served me well, and are still doing so. And they taught me to never touch them without wearing gloves.

This year, moles have had a population explosion. The 8 original traps were no longer enough. So I asked the spouse, wonderful girl that she is, to pick up 8 new traps for me on her way past the feed & seed store. Today was the first chance I had to get them out of their boxes. Wow, I was really surprised, and quite frankly, totally disappointed. They're lighter, like they're made out of aluminum, but I can't really tell; the springs when compared side by side with the older models look like something out of a ball point pen, and feel the same; and the spears: Well, the spears look like they're now being made from coils of heavy wire, and the points are no longer points. They're sheared off on the ends at a 45 degree angle. I put a couple in the ground today. They're legs were barely strong enough to withstand being pushed into very soft ground, and the springs, well, I won't go into that again.

I looked at a box to see if they're now made in China, or somewhere like that. But no, it said Made in the USA. A total waste of $150. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a closer look, Hud. Did you notice the spears are shorter also, LOL. Everything in our economy is cutting corners.

3. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

Actually, no, I didn't, LI ("Laughing Inside" because the sting of throwing away $150 is still with me; maybe someday I'll be able to LOL again:) ). Because it was a Victor trap, I simply gave it a cursory inspection when I took the first one out of the box because I assumed it would be like the ones I'd purchased years ago. My mistake. Then when I put one in the ground, I knew it was junk. That's why I checked out the box to see where it was made. Made in the USA. Victor must be proud. What a waste.