Video of ZTR cutting. I have questions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apples017, Mar 4, 2010.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

Video of ZTR cutting. I have questions...

So this is a Gravely zero turn mower. How is the cutting performance of this machine, on this thick a$$ grass compared to:

1. Scag Turf Tiger
    2. Exmark Next Laser Z
    3. Hustler Super Z

How do people think these other ztr's would cope with cutting this grass/jungle?

I did see that he has to make 2 passes, as the first pass did leave uncut grass.

Not that I need to cut stuff like this, but its always a good idea to get something that can handle the heavy stuff for the odd jobs etc.

Video Link:

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

On thick grass nothing will compare to the scag. Exmark is right behind it. Then hustler/gravely.
  3. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Well first off I wouldn't cut grass like that with a ztr too often. If you do that on a regular basis get a brush hog. Toro cuts just ok through that. Grasshopper doesnt cut that tall stuff well though. I think grasshopper has one of the best cuts on kept up lawns but horrible on grass thats really tall.
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

That looks more like job for a rough cut mover. If i were to cut that with a Z, first I'd raise the deck all the way up and then do it again a bit lower. And if I were the camera man, I sure as hell wouldn't be standing in a direct line with the discharge chute. Who knows what could be hiding in that jungle!
  5. apples017

Gee, the scag and exmark always seem to be up there as the best mowers don't they.
  6. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Awesome! way to let her eat... I love taking silly jobs like that once in a while. I usually take one really slow pass just like you re doing and then return the same way and it comes out really clean considering you re cutting head high field grass. Hey as long as you re getting paid your wage and keeping your equipment safe tear it up....
  7. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep a lake area cut for a lady and behind the dam looks just like that stuff. I dont think any ZTR will cut that stuff in 1 pass. My TT cut it about like that mower. Really dont like to cut to much like that because I would think it would be hard on the mower clutch over time.

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing grass like that is honestly hard on every component on the mower.
  9. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

i'd never use a finish mower to rough cut.
  10. apples017

hornett 22, Yes point taken, Should be using a big tractor and slasher.

But I'm investigating and researching looking at buying a ZTR. The jobs I'd like to hit would be open acerage and rural blocks, which would have heavy stuff like this in it.

So for financial reasons its cheaper to get one big a$$ ztr (diesel) then a ZTR and a big tractor etc.