Video on Soil Health and Sustainability

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by phasthound, Nov 13, 2013.

1. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps leaving more stubble on a cornfield to raise the Carbon content could be one example....

In turfgrass keeping an eye on C/N ratios, and adding more Carbon as an Input on Mineral Soils. When you add N, be sure to add some C with it. Keep the soil fed and productive.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Corn meal gets 80% after 2 years... the other 20% fill up the lawn with weeds... I didn't spend a lot of time with that story either... :)

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I just watched the 30 minute one on cover crops and crop diversity by mistake. It was very well produced. First time I ever heard of any kind of overseeding by airplane. Something that was said that is true for any of us in turf is "Local conditions and sound judgment will always play a role." it was quite interesting. I was in that camp that thought most of the reason for cover crops is soil erosion prevention - which is reason enough for anyone who has ever seen any documentaries on the Dust Bowl in the mid-1930s. I do wonder what these same people would advise for root vegetable crops such as turnips, sugar beets, potatoes, carrots, peanuts. Crop rotation may be all that can be done as some significant soil disturbance is necessary for root crops.

Now I am curious about the other video. Will take a look at it sometime soon. Thank you.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I stand with Smallaxe on this issue.