Viking 32" or 36"..your opinion?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jun 9, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Well I'm about ready to add a new smaller mower to the stable. Since I have an Exmark Z I've pretty much decided on a Viking. Will do the 36" after I measure a couple more gates but might have to go with the 32". Price I got for the 36" was $3700. Any opinions you guys/gals may have are surely welcome. I know the Viking has a fixed deck but I rarely change mowing heights. As it is, this is a chunk of change to spend on a mower that will not get allot of hours but is sorely needed on a number of proerties where the 21 or the Z just dont work.

ps...I have to have a dual hydro because of some nasty slopes. I'll consider other brands but only if theres a considerable lower price which I've not yet found on but I have not looked at all brands either. THanks for your 2 cents on this

2. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

The 32" w/15 Kohler will give you better deck size to hp ratio if you will be running doubles & mulching thick leaves. Both are excellent units.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If a 36" will do them, then that is the best choice. Many reasons why, but your 52" HP blades are the same as the 36". No need for several blade types. The 32" has smaller drive wheels and the larger the wheels the better hill side ability.

Via your last email, yes the Viking is the way to go. The design of a 32" or 36" front casters will keep the deck from scalping. Exmark will tell you that. A floating deck is easier to change the height, but as you stated that isn't a big deal. We hardly ever change the deck height on the w/b's.

4. GarPA

from PA

Ok guys...thanks for your help...the gates I was concerned with all have openings of at least 38"...Terry at Exmark told me today that with chute up, width is 36.4...thats great. Good point about the blade size Hoss....didnt think about that ...dah. I think theres an option to go to a 17 Kaw with the 36 but maybe I'm mistaken. And today the Honda started making bad noises when the hydrostatic drive tried to kick in...my last Honda had trans problems like this one now has.....so goodbye to 21 inch mowers....these 36 and 32 mowers sure do fill a niche...but when i write the check I'm going to be flinching a bit!!!...thanks again guys for you help, as always...

5. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

I would still go with the 32. I own one and have several accounts a 36 would not fit. There are a couple of guys in town that give me the gated properties they can't fit their 36s in. With a Velke, the 32 is an awesome niche machine.

6. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I believe you are mistaken. The Viking can only be got w/ 15hp.

You can, however, special order a Toro 36" w/17hp Kaw.

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

36" Viking with 15 Kawi V twin and eXmark sit-dwn sulky attached is the ideal machine, literally take on any ZTR. 36" with 15 Kawi is the best combo in terms of pitching power and blade tip. The Kohler on 32" is good but you "only" want to have Kawi on your WB.

8. GarPA

from PA

hmm...now you guys have me rethinking the 32...the 36 does fit all my gates as of today...but...who knows what smaller gates are may be down the road. I wont need a sulky right now but I would like a velky...I see lots of opinions here on which brand of ride- behind to buy...what do you guys prefer?? Do you know if Exmark recommends or can ship a certain brand? I know zero about Toro except I think I heard or saw a post or two about their cost being much less....but is it a dual hydro?? I know I'm agonizing over which one to buy so bear with me....its the last mower I plan on buying for quite some time. ..thanks

ps...MTR what is "pitching power"?

9. Pat Daniels

Pat Daniels LawnSite Member

Also would like to know if there was a particular velky that a 32 inch metro would pull

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

:dizzy: :dizzy:

32" has smaller tires. It can pull a sulky, but not as well.