Viking 36...your advice please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Aug 23, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Well I'm not a happy camper with my new Viking 36(fixed deck). As was the case when I got my hp 52, its most likely because I dont have something set up right....at least I'm hoping thats the case.(this is my first commercial walk behind)Only have about 30 hrs on the mower as this mower wont be used much.Have the mulch kit on...mulch kit must stay on as this mower was bought for 2 reasons...1. hilly properties 2. yards with lots of platning beds.
    Spacers are 2 up and 2 below. Axle is set in the middle (c) position. Blades are very sharp. Problem? Uneven and shaggy cut on dry or wet grass. Also, leaving small clumps of grass even when not in long thick turf.(reminds me of my Helpless Honda ...but the Honda didn't cost me $4000) I need to check the pitch of the deck but forgot to do that b4 posting this thread.
    Also, the tire tracks stay on the lawn for days. This mower only weighs 500 lbs but the tires are on the small side...psi is at recommended pressure. My hp 52 leaves almost no tire tracks and its twice as heavy...and the cut is far superior in comparison..Whats up with that?? Dealer did not have a single Viking or anything close, to demo and now I find that because of those darn long front casters, I almost can't use it on rolling, uneven steeper slopes and the ECS setup makes it hard to hang onto when on a side slope. I hope you guys who have one of these can give me some advice. If not, I'm seriously thinking about taking a loss and trading it in. Lesson learned on buying something without a demo...needless to say this could be a very expensive purchase mistake on my part...thanks for your advice

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hmmm, used a Viking for YEARS, probably close to 10, still cuts like the day it was bought; perfect. Bent or uneven blades?

3. GarPA

from PA

like I said I'm sure its something to set up right...and the fact that my hp cuts sooo nice...I know a fixed deck is not going to perform like a floating deck....no bent or uneven blades...both sets are brand new

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

What blades? I run the excalibur with my mulch kit on the TTHP 36" and it does very well. Which ones are you using?

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

somthing is wrong. Are you turning full RPMs ? The 36 deck cuts really good, if all things are right. Keep us posted, if you find the answer.

I will say this, I have never used the mulch kit. Could be somthing with the kit installation.

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I Have a Viking 36 - bought last year, and I mows very well

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Have a metro 36 ,it cuts great.
    Take it back to the dealer that's what the're there for.
    You shouldn't have to set up anything they should have set it up for you.

8. GarPA

from PA

b4 i made this post I did a search and found a thread that was sent to Exmark from a guy who was having the exact same problem as me. The Exmark rep went thru some gyrations on where the spacers should be relative to the axle setting and then how all that relates to whether the mulch kit was installed. Gave me a headache frankly.
    When I look at what I paid for the hp52 and what I paid for this mini mower with ....no I'll shut up...until I make sure I have all the adjustments where they need to be. I still dont get why the tire tracks are so deep compared to the 52. That really aggravates me.

9. GarPA

from PA

I hear you DVM....the dealer had the darn thing set up with FOUR spaces on the top....which means there is no way enough air is between the blades and the deck to allow for "mulching"...so I get out the manual and find out real fast on the first day of owning it, what a PITA it is to change cutting height. Please dont take any of my comments as though critical of Exmark....as you say the frickin dealer should have set this thing up right in the first place....yep i'm a bit ticked off at the moment...plus today I used it on one of the properties I specifically bought it for...the Helpless Honda does better than this thing because of the long caster forks not allowing the mower to get into swales and dips...my fault for not insisting on a demo...had I had a demo, this mower would likely not have been purchased...and on steep, short side hills ? forget about it...cant even get it off the pavment and onto the grass ....should have bought a 21" Lawn Boy and saved myself about 4k....sorry for the grumbling but I need to vent today..

10. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Have you tried it with 3 spacers under the deck? May help your airflow......