viking 36 ???

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Doc_77, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

i have been having trouble with a viking 36 scalping .
    the dealer raised the blades all the way up inside the deck. it did seem to fix most of the scalping but the cut isn't exactly the best and it still scalps randomly. any ways i was just wondering if this set up is correct for this machine ?

exact set up is ...
    3 spacers on the front casters
    back axle set at C or D i forget
    < the machine has been in the shop for 2 months but thats another story>
    and the blades raised completely up into the deck , 4 spacers above i believe.

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

doc77, I'm sorry to hear your still having problems with the mower.

I think that you may have a lemon, just like john gamba had. see if there is a lemon law in your state where the company has to replace the lemon with a good machine.

btw, your setup looks good.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Doc,

First shoot me an e-mail to terry.eckert@exmark.com with the s/n of your unit, your name and the name of your dealer. I'll call him and see what he found on the machine.

A couple of things jump out at me. First you can run the blades at the top of the deck.....it's designed to do such things. You WILL see a drop in cut quality when you do this however.

If the blades are causing the scalping you should be seeing some damage to the blades..........The blades spin at around 200 mph........then they hit dirt bad things happen. If your not seeing some consistant damage to the blades then the damage is being caused by the front or the rear of the deck shell. Check the blades and let me know in the e-mail what you see.

Thanks

Terry

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I recently bought the same machine, having the same problem. It's not the blades hitting, its the deck (toward the rear of the machine it seems). The dealer has the axle at the second lowest setting. I'm going to bring it in to them after the mowing winds down to raise it up.

From what I can see the axle settings on the Viking are opposite from the Metro's (my other machine). On the Metro the axle holes are fixed in the deck, so the lowest hole gives you the highest axle position. On the Viking the axle holes are on a sliding bracket, the lowest hole provides the lowest axle height. Last time I was at the dealers, I pointed this out to them as they had both a Metro and Viking on the floor. The dealer said "Oh, I see what your saying." He said he'd pass it along to the assembly guys. The way I received the Viking was with the 2nd lowest axle setting (can't remember the Letter), 2 spacers under spindle and 2 spacers under castors. That's translates to 2.5 inches cutting height, most LCOs around here cut this fescue at closer to 3.5 The dealer also mentioned that he'd gotten several complaints recently from new Viking owners, I'm sure because they are setting them up too low by mistake.

Doc, if you've already had the deck raised up and its still scalping, I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully Terry can get this resolved for you.

5. eXmark

Guys,

I did some checking and we ship all fixed deck mowers at the second to the lowest setting for the rear axle/wheel motor. Most of you will want to raise it to the 3rd hole or the "C" setting on the Viking for most of your needs. This could explain any scalping caused by the rear of the deck.

Thanks

Terry

6. HOOLIE

Terry,

Until your reply I wasn't sure if the axle was set by you guys or the dealer. Why doesn't Exmark ship them all at the C setting? At least in my area, 2.5-3 inches is too short most of the year. I was going to raise mine, but the nut holding the wheel on is recessed in too far, I'm going to have the dealer do it rather than go out and buy new tools.

7. eXmark

Hoolie,

I'm not 100% sure why we ship everything at the "B" setting but I suspect it has something to do with shipping. If you've ever seen a shipment of mowers come into your dealers wharehouse you'd see we pack things pretty tight. Sometimes that 1" lower adjustment makes a big difference in how high you can stack the mowers saving hundreds of dollars in freight per machine that would ultimately be passed along to our customers.

Depending upon the region some dealers will raise or lower the rear axle to meet their regional needs. As an example some of the dealers in Florida will raise the axle to the highest setting before the retail the unit. As you move farther north they may set it at the second highest setting and so on. Then depending upon the time of year when the unit is sold some dealers (primarily in AZ) will set the rear axle to the lowest setting.

Thanks

Terry

Thanks

Terry

8. HOOLIE

That makes sense, Terry. I guess my dealer must have raised the axle on my Metro when I bought it 2 years ago. He agreed that they should raise the setting on the Vikings in the future.