viking , big problems !

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Doc_77, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

i just bought a exmark viking last week.
    i finely went out and used it on all 8 of my account's. i now have 5 accounts left and probably one more going after i put down grass seed tomorrow. this thing scalped the hell out of EVERY yard !!! i have the deck hight set at 3 inches and even the smallest hill it scalps and cut's uneven. i went and used my 21, mower to fix all the yards to make them look some what respectable. even on on some parts of the yard that are completely flat the cut looks like s*** !!!! i can't believe i spent 5 K on a worthless mower that i can not even use.

when my dealer said i would be fine on mostly flat lawns, i had no idea he meant a 2 inch bump would be completely taken out by the blades.

I'm hoping they will fix this problem but I'm worried i just wasted 5K and I'm stuck with this POS !!!
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I looked at the thread in the general forum. If I had to make a guess pretty much everybody is right. There's a real possibility there is an issue with the set up. My recommendation would be to take it back to the dealer and have him double check the set up you have.

Next I'd practice. Going from a 21" to a 36" is be change and you must operate the machines differently. Even a 36" floater must be operated differently than a 21". The tips offered in the general forum are all good from what I saw.

I rad a 32" fixed deck for years. The first time I got on something hilly I caused some damage as well. I only had to do it once and then it became pretty clear. Running any deck over about 26" your better off running it like you would a big rider than like a 21". The wheel base and the relationship between the blade and the wheels require that you change your operating style. The same is true with a floater.

Like I said have the dealer double check the set up and try to determine if your scalping on the front half, the middle or the back half of the deck. You'll hear when it happens and then you can estimate at what point in the deck it occured by the damage left behind.