Viking Hydro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by troberts, Aug 12, 2001.

1. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

What is the difference between the Turf Tracer and the Viking?
    Is it that the TT is HP, and the Viking is fixed deck?

What is the commercial sale price for the TTHP36 and 48, and the VH36 and 48?

Are they all available with ECS? How much does this typically add to the price?

Thanks,

TMR

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TMR:

Thanks for contacting Exmark Manufacturing on Lawnsite.com. First, in order to clear up some confusion, Exmark offers both the Turf Tracer and the Turf Tracer HP (TTHP). The Turf Tracer HP comes in either a 36", 48", or 52" deck, and you can get a 15 or 17-hp Kawasaki for any of those decks. The Turf Tracer, on the other hand, is our largest walk-behind in the line-up. We offer it with a 52" or 60" deck and a 23-hp Kohler or Kawasaki.

Now, getting back to your question, there are several differences between the Turf Tracer HP and the Viking Hydro. The Turf Tracer HP comes with the full-floating TriVantage deck, which allows you to mulch, bag, or side-discharge grass. Also, there are two electric start models available, the 48" with the 17-hp Kawasaki and the 52" with the 17-hp Kawasaki. Another difference is that you can get the Turf Tracer HP with either the standard pistol grips or our revolutionary Enhanced Control System (ECS), which increases comfort and safety and decreases operator fatigue. Finally, the Turf Tracer HP should have the "no flat" semi-pneumatic front caster wheels.

The Viking Hydro has a fixed 36" or 48" TriVantage deck and is offered with a 15-hp Kawasaki. It features the standard pistol grips. The Viking is the bare-bones, entry level hydro.

If you don't have to change cutting heights often and don't need any more than 15-hp, this is a good unit to start with. However, if you need more horsepower for mulching and want some of the unique features of the Turf Tracer HP (i.e. - ECS controls or the floating deck), I would recommend the Turf Tracer HP.

The "suggested" commercial sale price is approximately $4,500 for the 36" unit (15-hp Kaw.), $4700 for the 48" unit with a 15-hp Kawasaki, and $4,900 for the 48" with a 17-hp Kawasaki. The 36" Viking Hydro is $4,100, and the 48" Viking Hydro is $4,300. ALWAYS contact your local Exmark Dealer for the most accurate pricing information. If you aren't sure who your closest Exmark dealers are, please use the following link to access the Exmark Dealer Locator on our web site:

http://www.exmarkdealer.com/

To answer your final questions, no, this year only the Turf Tracer HP's are offered with the ECS controls. The ECS controls usually add $150 to the price of the Turf Tracer HP.

If you have any other questions, you can either make another post on Lawnsite.com, or e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com.

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Care:D

3. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the detailed response. However, your response leads me to another question....

You wrote:

If you don't have to change cutting heights often and don't need any more than 15-hp, this is a good unit to start with. However, if you need more horsepower for mulching.....

------------------------------

Are you suggesting that the 15 horse v-twin is not enough horsepower for mulching?

TMR

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TMR:

If you ask guys in the field, like yourself, most of them will tell you that a manufacturer can't build a unit with too much horsepower. That's why we offer several different deck/engine combinations.

The key words in the sentence that you quoted are "if you need more horsepower." You ultimately need to decide how much horsepower you need. The 15 Kawi. is enough horsepower to adequately mulch whatever you put in front of it; however, with more horsepower (i.e. - the 17-hp Kawasaki), the engine will not have to work as hard as the 15-hp Kawasaki when you get into tall, lush grass, like Bluegrass in the Spring. You'll be able to increase your productivity over the 15 Kawi., because the engine will maintain a more constant ground speed.

My suggestion would be to ask your local Exmark Dealer if they could set up a demo with either the 15-hp Kohler or Kawasaki or the 17-hp Kawasaki. Maybe you could demo the 15-hp vs. the 17-hp Kawasaki. I would also ask professional landscapers who have used both the 15-hp and the 17-hp Kawasaki and the 15-hp Kohler to compare them. Just make sure that people are comparing apples to apples. You can't compare a 15-hp unit on a 36" deck to a 15-hp unit on a 48" deck. This sounds like it would make a good Lawnsite.com.:D

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Care

5. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

Got to love that Exmark guy. Thanks for all your input.