1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Viking or TurfTracer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Feb 27, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Looking at getting a 36" inch hydro unit from Exmark. Those that have experience with the Viking and Turf Tracer HP, which would you recommend?

I am leaning towards the Viking

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i personally like the floating deck and the bigger tires on the the hp .
  3. tiedeman

from earth

I thought that the Viking has the bigger tires on it?
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yep ! I have a Viking 48" and it was my first mower, bought it used but We are going with Truf Tracers this year I like the ability of changing height without changing blades around. And our viking do to lack of floating deck made its own small paths a couple of times last year.... not happy :dizzy:

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

Get the Turf Tracer. I bought my 36" Viking 6 months ago. I wish I had held out for the Tracer. A new 36" Tracer is already in the budget for later this year. Dealers are real slow around here and I will use the Viking as a back-up.

Bentley's L. C.
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

For a 36 I am happy with the fixxed deck. Also going for the floating deck means I would have to get a bigger trailer. Don't have either yet but know my 36 metro cuts like a dream. Now if the dealer would quit pestering me about buying a left over toro 36 hydro :dizzy: floating deck with toro sulky for 3000 my mind would be made up. At that price I can get a new trailer.
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I just bought a 36 turf tracer yesterday at 4400 I am still a little stunned but its not about the cost its about the results and being able to change deck heights is everything. I have a 48 metro which is worthless to us. On yards that I could of used help on the fixed deck wrote her off since you can not raise her and inch or more when needed. I also bought a new 52-inch lazer Z yesterday with a 27 Kohler on it. It is our 3rd lazer our 5 fifth real mower I do not count 21s and to date we have not got the same deck size twice. Each crew has a completely different area and what works on the beach does not inland there bigger is better.
  9. tiedeman

from earth

keep on going with the opinions on them. I have picked up about five fenced in lawns this year, and I just sold a 32" about 2 years ago. I don't want to have to use a 21" because the back lawns are kind of big. My 48" won't fit through the gates either. So I thought I might as well get a new mower, but something that can be used for my other residentials as well