vin number

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paul3251, May 8, 2006.

1. paul3251

paul3251 LawnSite Member

I just bought a kohler motor,i cant find the vin number.it says it on the sticky tag but i dont see it stamped anywhere on the motor.is it stamped somewhere or no.

2. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

There is no such thing as a VIN on equipment. That is for vehicles.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The Motor has a serial number, engine model class number, And an ( spec) option code number. Its all on a silver tag that is glued to the air shroud.

A VIN ( Vehicle Identification Number) is a serial number, and all equpment has one.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, but this statement brought out the old cop in me.

Well, no actually a VIN is much more than a serial number as a VIN also includes codes and numbers that in additon to identifying the motor and car through the serial number part, it also tells the make, model and year of the vehicle and the engine type, and assmy plant info and ALL equipment does not have a VIN....only vehicles have VIN's and non vehicles have Serial Numbers.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number and is put on automobiles, trailers, and I think boats and maybe airplanes, I don't know.

As for serial numbers and model numbers, on the Kohler motor this information can be found on a white or silver tag that is located near the top of the side where the oil filter is located (assuming the 15hp as mine is), it is almost directly above the throttle mechanism on the motor, but a bit of a distance up. On a mower, this would be on the left side.

6. paul3251

paul3251 LawnSite Member

ok i found that but it is not stamped in the metal no where?if not i would like to stamp something in the metal in case if it was ever stolen.they can just peel the tag off.do u get what i mean.