Vine control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by baldguy_420, Jan 2, 2008.

1. baldguy_420

baldguy_420 LawnSite Member

I need to find a company to sub-contract out part of a maintenance contract. However I'm having trouble finding anyone that can do it. I need to apply twice yearly a pre-emergent chemical on all parasitic vines in a specific area. any advice on how to locate a company to do it is greatly appreciated.
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

check with your county extension office, or who ever is in charge of issuing license for pest control, they should have a website that you can find licensed companies to do the work, or check the phone book, any 'commercial' maintenance company should hold a tree & ornamental license.
  3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not sure of the type vines you have in your area.So this is just my way of thinking but.... Vines in my area are not generally annuals. They are perrenials with woody type stems. Which means pre-emergents will not work on them. Pre-emergents are seed barriers only, and only up to certain seed sizes depending on the pre-emergent. You will need post emergent to control vines and it will take someting that will move through the woody stem to do the "right" job. A type of brush killer. Glyphosate spiked with an ester product will generally do it. A soil sterilant is your only other choice and they are not safe around trees or shrubs. Point being, it is something that could be done yourself if you are licensed and have the right material. Hope this helps.
  4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Where exactly are these "parasitic vines?"
    That knowledge in itself would help to identify the type of license needed for control of the weed...

Are they on fence line surrounding a parking lot, I'm guessing?