vine I.D. please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FL-lawnjockey, Sep 8, 2007.

1. FL-lawnjockey

FL-lawnjockey Banned

West central FL location.

Thanks
    Rob

DSC_5705.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

If you pulled this thing up, would there be a nodule (White oniony growth) at the end that form a sorta shoe? Also do they have very few leaves and have spines toward the latest growth? If so, it's a sawbriar, and hard to kill, but there are herbicides for them. Check that below ground root. Roy

3. FL-lawnjockey

FL-lawnjockey Banned

This stuff is growing in a few of the beds where I work (40 acre condo)

In areas it's completely choked a few shrubs literally to death. In another area it ran along the ground for 10 or so feet then climbed up the outside of a wall 8-10 feet high using adhesive type disks.
    There doesn't appear to be any spines & I've never seen it flower or fruit.
    A simple 2% mix of glyphosate knocks it down pretty easily though but I always try to know what I'm killing.

Rob

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

If you could get a "Growing" photo and another close up with the leaves intact. That would help. There is a vine called "Kuzsu" that takes over full grown trees.
    I'd help more but need a little more iinfo. If "Roundup" at 2% is getting it and no spines, then Sawbriar is out. Get a few more photos. Did you happen to see a flower? Roy

5. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

6. FL-lawnjockey

FL-lawnjockey Banned

Ahhh that's exactly it. Thanks alot Greg.