1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vinegar for weed killer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Sooners, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I had a customer ask us to spray vinegar on her brick sidewalk instead of Round-Up. We did in May and it killed everything. Weeds did eventually come back, but they always come back after using Round-up too. Just curious if anyone's ever heard of using vinegar.
  2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I read it somewhere in the "Organic lawn application" forum. Did you dilute it or use it straight? Was it white vinegar or apple cider vinegar?
  3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I have also been told that if you add a little to the round up and water, it changes the ph level of the water to make the round work more efficiently. I should mention, that was rain water from the roof!
  4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

vinegar is pretty close to what roundup is!

actuqally more like vinegar, salt, soap and water.......they make 5 billion a year off of the stuff!
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Like grasswhacker said, What kind of vinegar, and do you just apply it straight??
  6. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Vinegar kills on contact and burns the weed from the outside.

Glyphosphate, which is the killing ingredient in Round-up...is a systemic. The plant absorbs it internally and it kills the total weed.

Roundup will kill the weed better and more thoroughly than Vinegar will...but, it will take longer.

Still, with the "organic" craze going on these days...vinegar is still a good option, you'll just have to use it more frequently. I have used it one part Vinegar, one part Water...I'm sure you can make it stronger...or weaker and still get results.

Straight vinegar does just fine...never tried the "cider" vinegars.
  7. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I used white vinegar straight out of the bottle and into my sprayer. I only tried this once. I am curious if it will hurt shrubs if it gets oversprayed?
  8. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have been spraying 20% concentrate vin. and the results have been terrible! It burns out the tops and within a week or two they are all back.(..........and I do mean all). At first it seems great but then the reality hits. Maybe a salt stick would be a better option or the infra-weeder?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u dont want to salt the earth
    but salt water works but not that great
  10. rredogg

rredogg LawnSite Member

I've been have better sucess with scaulding hot water. Just make sure to pour enough to get down to the roots.