Vinegar for weed killer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Sooners, Jul 15, 2004.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a 1 part salt and 3 parts vinegar, both table grade, with fairly good success. Problem is, it's a pain to disolve the salt in the vinegar and the salt residues clog up the sprayer tips. I only used it on driveways and sidewalk brickwork so microbial activity was not an issue. Round Up is simpler and easier.

Don't be fooled into thinking that this is all organic so a pesticide licence is not required. I believe that it is still considered a pesticide as that is what it's usage is.

2. colene

colene LawnSite Member

I used a 2 1/2 gal watering can when I use vinegar...I don't use a spray unit.

also...............

When can 'real' plants be planted after weed killer is applied..whether vinegar or any other method...

Thanks for your answers..

Colene

3. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Depends on the type of weed killer or pesticide!

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if vinegar is used, it will dissociate pretty quickly.

5. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

Am I safe to assume I don't need a pesticide license to spray vinegar?

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you do not need a liscense if you apply to YOUR yard...

you still need a liscense to apply on others property...

anything that is used as an herbicide (salt, vinegat, etc....) needs a liscense if being applied for someone else.

7. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

mm and yp are right. if you apply anything to a lawn other than your own you need an applicator's liscense...that includes those squirrely folks that use urine as a weedkiller. ya'll can laugh but i've heard of it being done for the intent and purpose of killing weeds. i suppose it might work - i just hope they squeeze their lemons at home

8. VictorB

VictorB LawnSite Member

Just a little note about a license when applying vinegar and other organic materials; where I live in Windsor, Ontario they have given exemptions to applying specific products like vinegar. If you buy this product and it is NOT registered as a pesticide/herbicide then you do not need a license, if on the other hand you do buy a product that is acetic acid and sold under a brand name, they have to have a registration number and you do need a license.

A co-op may sell vinegar at 20% acetic acid. Most cases this isn't registered.

It is always best to contact your local government to get a complete understanding of the law.

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

As far as licensing goes, every state will be different. Here in Connecticut, if it has an EPA reg. #, you need a license to apply it for pay. If it doesn't have this #, you don't need a license. But I know other states are different, so check with the appropriate authority in your area before the fines roll in.

10. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

I have never heard of this but it sounds interesting.